Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

How can I help my step dad?

Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
My stepdad has schizophrenia. This has happened twice before, I can see it coming, he's on the verge of a break. My question is, how do I help him. How can I stop him from going over the edge again?

This all started when his son started asking for too much, even though he was told my stepdad couldn't afford it. He then got mad and started saying very, VERY hurtful things to his dad. My stepdad has made the decision to step back from his son, and we can see it's hurting him. We tried to do fun things as a family to get his mind off of it, and he was doing well for a while. Really well. He seemed happy. But now he's repeating the patterns he's done before, each time it ended with a stay in the hospital. Things were finally going well and I refuse to let him go away again, he deserves so much better. My mom watches him to make sure he's taking his medication, but he's gone out with his friend tonight and it's already 11:30, we're afraid he might not come home. All it will take is missing one dose, and he could be gone.

What can I do to help prevent another hospital visit? My mom can't take it, she's told me she feels helpless. I'm determined to help, but I just don't know how. He's not gone yet, there must be a way to calm this down, to stop things before they get too bad.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 17th, 2012
Active User, very eHealthy
You want to get at the cause eh?.

All that you can do is be good to him, stop the son from using his father, and keep an eye out(but don't stress yourself though) for an episode.

I think that the hardest part will be dealing with the son, if he is a user, which many are actually, then that needs to stop no? Is he an out of control type of little boy, can you stop him? Is he to much to handle?

You've answered your own question, you state the problem that needs to stop, so stop it.

And it helps a schizophrenic to try and ask him what he is going through, have a talk with him and learn about his condition, I've heard that most people no matter how sick they are enjoy company and a good conversation just like anyone else. Do you ever speak with him? spend some time?
|

replied April 17th, 2012
Active User, very eHealthy
I actually have the exact same problem, unruly folks all around, and there isn't anything that I can do about it either.

It's like being stabbed over and over again in your middle section.
|
Quick Reply