Medical Questions > Relationships > Family Relationships Forum

How can i be more mature about this situation with my guardian?

User Profile
Okay so im 17 turning 18 feb 8 2011. I live with my grandmother who i just moved in with because my great aunt switched custody over to her. My mom is dead and i dont have a dad. Anyways My therapist says im a 20 year old mentally trapped in a 17 year olds body. Iam very much mature for my age. Well ive been through more stuff than any young woman or child should ever even be exposed to. I mean practically ive been through everything imaginable except being pregnant. LITTERALLY. ive been with my fiance since i was 13. My grandmother likes him but she is just crazy. I mean she screams and yells and cusses at me & everything. Ive been through several runaway attempts and several suicide attempts because of her. She wont let me get a job, i dont have my drivers license because of her (she wouldnt let me get it) she is always negative and just she is crazy. Anyways I dont want to go into foster care, ive only got a few months til im out of the house. But iam 17 i want to go to college and succeed she always is saying your too stupid and stuff. Anyways i wanted her to sign for me to get married and she went off on me. but here is the thing she got married when she was 16. had a kid at 15. then got remarried 5 more times. She was also on drugs, and etc. Ive never done drugs or drank and im not pregnant nor have i been.(tried though) So my rules consist of these
1.have to be home at 6pm weekdays & 8pm on weekends
2.only can leave 3x a week and 1nce on weekend
Now isnt that nuts. i mean seriously im 17 give me a break. i have to watch what she watchs on tv because we only have one in the house. so anyways im just wanting to know how to pass the time without yelling, i mean because she is affecting my health (mental&physical) im stressed all of the time. how can i deal with this in a mature way?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 30th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
The mature way to deal with this is to sit her down and explain that her actions towards you are a little harsh for someone your age and ask her if she can give you a break because this situation is causing you to be stressed out, see what she says...good luck...Jenny
|

User Profile
replied June 30th, 2010
Ive tried talking to her for over 3 years nothing is working. all she does is yell and then starts crying and says everyone hates her and she wishes she was dead. I really cant deal with much more, i dont know if i can make it for these few months. Im getting married next year so i know i have something to live for i just dont know how much more of this craziness i cant take. I hate drama and i just want to be happy.
|

replied June 30th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
Maybe suggest going seeing her doctor together and talk through the things you dont see eye to eye on and maybe you could come up with a solution for the remaining months you have to live together, it could be that she just doesnt want to accept that you are growing up and you wont need her for anything anymore, it can cause some people to act up if thats the right word, hope it works out for you..Jenny
|

User Profile
replied June 30th, 2010
my whole family says she has been like this her whole life so it isnt me. her childrent got married and had kids all at ages 15, 16, & 17. so i know its not me and she refuses to talk to anyone about anything. so i guess im just in a no win situation
|

replied June 30th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
In that case hun just keep your head up, look forward to your wedding, stay strong and make sure your fiance is there for you for emotional support, we are also here for you if you need to chat, dont bottle anything inside it only makes it worse..Jenny
|