Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

How bones heal

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
I met with an accident seven months back,resulting my right leg bone fracture,now seven months passed but there are no sighn of healing my boken bones.I have a metal rod inside.
Problem is i have a habit of mastubation every day (Since last many years),Is the healing slow because of it?If yes then please suggest the medicine or some other way.
I m still limping while walking,how can this stop,or this will continue forever
Thanks

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 7th, 2009
General Q and A Answer A6551

The healing process of a bone includes multiplying certain cells in the bone. The area that is most affected by the multiplication is actually the area where the bone was broken. If the two parts of the broken bone are attached to each other, then the cells that multiply would produce intercellular substance that actually holds the cells together.

However, if the two ends are not close enough then the intercellular substance would not be able to fill in the gap. To keep the two ends firmly attached the doctors use metal rods or plates and keep the broken bone in plaster for several weeks when most of the healing process of the broken bone is expected to occur. This process might be helped by increasing the intake of calcium and phosphorus which are substances included in the bone structure.

However, this should be done with caution if the person has a previous history or family history of kidney stones. Applying certain pressure on the broken bone might keep the two pieces close but the amount of pressure should be determined only by a medical professional based on the X-ray images that show the healing progress.

As you can see, masturbation does not affect the healing process of broken bone.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.