Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cold, Flu and Viral Infections Forum

12 hour fever (Page 1)

Must Read
The common cold is probably the most well known illness known to man. But did you know that it's a virus? Read to learn the basics about cold here....
How do you get a cold? And what causes the cold? Learn more about causes of the cold, and risk factors that you can avoid to prevent this illness....
You probably know many of the symptoms of a cold: sneezing, sore throat, a stuffy nose, and coughing. Do you know the difference between the flu vs. a cold?...
Last night i started getting really aching and my skin started to hurt. I had severe back and abdominal pain. Later in the night I developed really bad chills and could not seem to warm up. Then, this morning i went back and forth with fevers and chills and could not get out of bed. I was in bed until 2pm before i could get up without feeling dizzy or nauseated. Funny thing though, at 2pm when i could finally get out of bed, I felt almost normal. I was able to eat a lot and haven't had any fevers or pains since. Admittedly, I am a bit tired still and don't feel 100% but I feel a world better than i did this morning. I never had diarrhea and never actually threw up so I don't think this could be food related. Any ideas? I was expecting to be sick for days with how horrible i felt this morning, but I feel fine now. Confused
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper labeefcakes
|

replied February 14th, 2009
me too
just last night i had the same thing. around 5pm yesterday afternoon i developed a fever of 103.1 and had chills so bad that my heater was up on full blast and I had two comferters on. i didnt eat for 12 hours and wasnt nauseated or anything. then at 2am my fever broke but i was still tired so i slept untill 2pm today and feel normal am actuall going to go out and get some lunch what the heck is it...
|

replied February 26th, 2009
12-hour fever
i had the exact same thing last night. one minute i am surfing the web, feeling great & healthy, the next minute i am shivering so bad that my teeth started to actually chatter. i felt like i was in the antarctica in January. i immed. put on flannel pajamas (tops & bottoms), threw an extra blanket on top of my comforter, and crawled into bed. i just kept shivering and shivering, i could not get warm, even wearing flannel PJs and under several layers of blankets. i have never felt this cold before in my entire life. i finally turned on a space heater and i felt a bit better. i couldnt sleep much, when i did it was in fits & starts, interrupted by pain, and shivering and teeth chattering. i didnt even sweat for the first 3 hours. when i drifted off for half an hour or so (after 3 hours of pure hellish suffering), i woke up bathed in sweat, so i turned off the space heater, but i was still cold. six hours later, i finally slept a few hours, woke up feeling PERFECTLY NORMAL. i was totally fine, like nothing had happenend. i was just a bit tired, but no soreness or anything. i had no other symptoms other than a fever. if i had to guess, my fever was at least in the range 103 or so. i have never experienced a fever of this intense magnitude. and it was JUST a fever, nothing else. NO coughing, NO sneezing, no runny nose, no vomiting, no diarrhea, no nausea, no sinus pain, no ear pain. nothing but a huge monster of a fever. very weird. but i am 100% fine now, just curious as to why this happened (and happy it was so short-lived). something like this has never happened to me before in my life. is this common? the extreme sudden-ness of the fever's onset was quite strange, and even stranger was the quick return to normalcy.
|

replied July 6th, 2009
Short duration fever (<12hrs) w/ joint/muscle pain
Yesterday afternoon I was feeling fine until around 5PM at which time I had a sudden onset of moderate fever accompanied by muscle and joint pain. No chills, nausea, cough or other symptoms. I would guess the fever to have been about 102 degrees mostly notable in the region of the forehead and ears. The joint/muscle pain was severe. I had difficulty turning my head due to neck pain and my lower back and hip regions were also strongly affected. Shoulders and limb pain were less noticable but present. Oddest part is that the fever subsided after about 8 hours leaving joint/muscle stiffness and soreness but no other apparent side effects. I was unable to fall asleep until sometime after 9AM and therefore I am tired due to lack of sleep but otherwise feel more-or-less normal. Any idea what this might be?
|

replied July 9th, 2009
I had a very similar situation 2 days ago. Felt OK in the A.M. but started to feel 'off' in the afternoon. I thought it was from lack of sleep. Started to feel chilly and a bit achy. Left work an hour early and my skin felt tender, which it does when I have a temperature. Got home @ 4:30 with a temp of 100, chills very achy. The temperature gradually increased to 102 by about 8 P.M. Then it gradually started to drop and by 11 P.M. it was normal. The next day I felt perfectly normal but tired. This is the third time this has happened to me and I can't figure it out. There must be some kind of trigger but it totally eludes me.
|

replied September 15th, 2009
What's going on here? Yesterday, about 5:00 PM, I suddenly starting with chills, felt feverish. I was feeling fine up to that point - the onset was acute. Then the muscle, joint, and general body aches started - I felt like crap. Still with feverish symptoms, I had a late supper (appetite fine), took 4 ibuprofen, and went to bed. By the morning I had 'sweated' out the fever, I'm a little tired now but the body aches are gone and I feel fine. What the heck is this? Will I develop other flu symtoms in a day or so?
|

Be interesting to know what region of the country all of these similar instances occurred in. I live in southeast Washington State. Anybody else?
|

justlikeswimming live in southeastern KY - I'm feeling much better today (though there's a lot of people sick where I work with flu-like symptoms more severe than my own)
|

replied September 19th, 2009
Just yesterday I started to feel a little tired and my back and neck started aching, I just blew it off tel around five or so when I got this horrible fever, you could feel the heat off my skin through two or three layers of clothing. This was also accompanied by chills and horrible shaking.I was sent home from work three hours early. My fever persisted tel about nine or ten when it began to wear off some. My throat however got sore and I could barely talk. No fever today, although my body still aches and throat a little sore. I live in Eastern TN.
|

replied September 19th, 2009
I have a theory - perhaps folks coming down with this brief fever are more resistant to the flu (most likely the swine flu if its a summer/early fall flu). I work at a school, so I've certainly been exposed, but I'm 50 years old and likely was exposed to swine flu during the 70s. Perhaps this prior exposure has enabled my body to rapidly fight off the swine flu??? What about everyone else - do you think you've been 'pre-exposed'?
|

replied September 27th, 2009
I had fever and body aches that started last night around 7pm and this morning around 7am I felt fine. My 2 yr old had the very same thing this past wednesday and when I talked with the daycare apparently there was a lot of kids out that had the very same symptoms, and it all lasted about 12-18 hours. I live in Houston, Texas so I do not think this is a regional thing. I am 25 and have never been exposed to swine flu previously and my 2 yr old definitely hasn't. It is the strangest thing.
|

replied October 9th, 2009
October 8, 2009
From BC Canada
I was fine until this past Tuesday 3pm, began to get the chills,while at work, I began feeling flushed, my temperature was going up, but I was piling on the sweaters...People were commenting that it was actually warm in the office, I experenced a fever that night, by 1pm the next day,Wednesday, I began to feel myself again, but continued to rest. Thursday, went back to work, feeling fine, except for the stiffness in my neck, and shoulder...funny, all five employees have also reported this rapid, short term fever, followed by stiffness in the neck and shoulder (on one side). Gotta wonder.
|

replied October 10th, 2009
I think the same thing happened to my 2 yr old son,but its hard to tell since he can't tell me much detail - just the dramatic fever thing.... if I speak with his pediatrician I'll write back to let you all know what it might have been. What I wonder is if its contagious....sounds like it!
|

replied October 11th, 2009
I think that it's the typical flu season. Although, just yesturday on Global TV Vancouver news, they were stating that if you have the flu, its the HINI. However, my friend, she came down with the fever, coughing, body aches, headache yesturday. She went to the Dr. today, he stated its just a virus and not the HIN1. The Dr. was stating that with the H1N1 virus, your skin hurts. So it would seem that the news is unimformed and is adversily heightening fear in the public...I would presume to heighten its ratings.
|

replied October 16th, 2009
12 hour fever
I've had 3 episodes of this 12-hour fever in the last 4 weeks and noticed that the last two times happened after eating sweet potatoes. Could this be a food-borne illness?
|

replied October 16th, 2009
I'm onto my 2nd episode ;o( in the past 2 weeks, this time, high fever with congestion. I'm going back to bed.
|

replied December 28th, 2009
The 12 hour flu and it's effect and recovery on me.
I had an exact mirror experience last night. At about 5 pm I got slight chills and felt tired. I lay for a nap and woke at 7 pm with more body shaking chills! I took Echinacea and got into my flannels under two comforters and slept all night, only to wake up the next day feeling about 85%! No nausea or thowing up. By noon today I feel 100% and have been eating like a teenager. I will refrain from a cocktail today just to hedge my recovery for tomorro. I think also that my resistance is higher having had the flu previously in life. I am in my 50's, don't smoke, and am not obese...full head of hair, and as dashing and handsome as ever! ( getting my sense of humor back in full to boot!)
|

replied January 8th, 2010
I go down with a flu-like syndrome on a monthly basis. it doesn't last more than 12 hours and it presents with shivering (strong shaking!!!), high fever (up to 40 celsius), vomiting, I feel extremely exhausted. The next day I feel good (either I had aspirin or not) and with a strong appetite as well. Anyone else with the same pattern? I live in Italy, but I had the same promeblem while living in Iowa for 1 year. Thanks, take care and stay warm.
|

replied January 23rd, 2010
2-4 hour sporadic fevers with extreme skin pain
I've also had similar experiences, with high fevers that begin in the afternoon and are accompanied by extreme skin pain (no rash or other obvious lesions... just a feeling of severe sunburn or bruising all over my body), followed by a high fever (102-103) that lasts for 2-4 hours. Taking aspirin seems to reduce the fever, and I wake up the next day feeling 100% (I could run a marathon today as long as I had a big breakfast first!). I also have joint pain and am considering evaluation for auto-immune or genetic fever disorders. I live in Austria, but grew up in North Carolina.

Felice913, if you are from Italy and you really have a flu-like syndrome on a monthly basis, you could ask your doctor about FMF (Familial Mediterranean Fever). It is a genetic disorder that is fairly common in persons of Mediterranean descent, though mostly in Arabic and select Jewish populations. Even so, its been found in all genetic groups, and frequent recurrences of fevers accompanied with stomach upset and (sometimes) either a skin rash or joint pain/swelling.

It sounds like most of the people that experienced these sorts of symptoms only once and who had other family members, friends or acquaintances that also experienced a similar episode were probably exposed to a short-lived virus.
|

replied January 23rd, 2010
2-4 hour sporadic fevers with extreme skin pain
I've also had similar experiences, with high fevers that begin in the afternoon and are accompanied by extreme skin pain (no rash or other obvious lesions... just a feeling of severe sunburn or bruising all over my body), followed by a high fever (102-103) that lasts for 2-4 hours. Taking aspirin seems to reduce the fever, and I wake up the next day feeling 100% (I could run a marathon today as long as I had a big breakfast first!). I also have joint pain and am considering evaluation for auto-immune or genetic fever disorders. I live in Austria, but grew up in North Carolina.

Felice913, if you are from Italy and you really have a flu-like syndrome on a monthly basis, you could ask your doctor about FMF (Familial Mediterranean Fever). It is a genetic disorder that is fairly common in persons of Mediterranean descent, though mostly in Arabic and select Jewish populations. Even so, its been found in all genetic groups, and frequent recurrences of fevers accompanied with stomach upset and (sometimes) either a skin rash or joint pain/swelling.

It sounds like most of the people that experienced these sorts of symptoms only once and who had other family members, friends or acquaintances that also experienced a similar episode were probably exposed to a short-lived virus.
|
12 >>