Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Hot feeling flatulence

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
Hello,

I have been experiencing 'hot' feeling flatulence (a slight burning sensation as it is passed) which is mildly uncomfortable but not in itself a problem. I am concerned by the unpleasant smell and unpredictable nature of the flatulence though. Sometimes it will come on strongly with little warning when I am in stressful situations, such as the classic example of while on a first date. I don't think it is caused only by stress though, as it will often happen in unstressful times as well.

I have had blood, urine and stool tests performed with no unusual results or anything suggesting any problems. I haven't been able to pinpoint any particular foods that bring on the problem, but have been steering clear of all processed foods because I'm guessing they wouldn't help! A doctor recommended taking Immodium and I find that this completely fixes the problem, but I suspect this is only because it slows the digestion down and therefore whatever is causing the problem gets digested more thoroughly. I want to avoid making a habit of taking Immodium and would prefer instead to find a more natural way of slowing down my digestion, as I'm guessing that this could help the problem. A have on average 3 - 5 bowel movements per day.

As for background info, I am a 25 yr old male in good shape physically. I'm very active and seem to have a very fast metabolism. Except for the problem described above I feel very healthy day in and day out.

Can anybody shed any light on what might cause this problem and make any suggestions on how to avoid it? I haven't been able to find much info searching the Internet.

Thanks very much for your time and help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2009
If you have already tried to modify your diet without benefit, you might request a consultation with a GI physician.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS
A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied February 9th, 2010
Did you see a GI physician?
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.