Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

holding urine (Page 1)

Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
User Profile
Is it something to worry about? I really want to know,but my mum says it's too trivial to go to the doctor about Sad
Could someone here put my mind to rest?
thanks. Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile catonia
|

replied April 4th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
It sounds like this is really something to see the doctor about.I think it will put your mind at ease by going to the doctor. He can run the tests I mentioned in the other posts. It could be a few different things an infection, weak bladder, etc..
Did anyone ever mention IC?
Ask your doctor about doing voiding cystoscopy, he can tell if your bladder is weak by doing this test or if there's any other concern. He might start with a urine test and a scan of your bladder and kidneys.

I hope you get some answers, I feel your frustration.

Take Care
|

User Profile
replied April 4th, 2008
Experienced User
Thanks.

I just want someone here to tell me if 2 hours is normal.
|

replied April 4th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Your Welcome.

Please keep us posted. I honestly hope you get some answers.

Did anyone ever mention IC to you?
|

User Profile
replied April 5th, 2008
Experienced User
Nope.I did a Urine test though and the results came back fine. Smile

Today,i walked up too many hills,so i was exhausted and De-Hydrated,but i was worried about having a drink of water whilst out.I drank a load of water and never had to look for the nearest bathroom once at it was several hours ago. Mr. Green

I was once indoors and i drank about two liters of water in less than half an hour and my stomach swelled up and i was in pain,but it went away because i was in the bathroom peeing Gallons every 5 minutes.I really shouldn't have drank that much.

Basically,the more i drink,the more i need trips to the bathroom,though i can drink loads when exhausted and De-hydrated and not need to bathroom for hours.
Also,the faster i throw Gallons down my throat when not thirsty,the shorter i can hold pee in!

I hope this info helped a bit more! Smile
|

User Profile
replied April 5th, 2008
Experienced User
BTW,my stomach wasn't hurting from holding it in,it was hurting from drinking too much too quick.My whole stomach felt like a water bed.
|

User Profile
replied April 5th, 2008
Supporter
Hi Sweetie! Me Fairy*Godmother
Hi There, I was taught by my physican to drink at least 3 quarts of water a day. That seems like a lot, but the more hydrated you are the healthie you are. Yes, you will pee yourself do death.....at first. That is, until your body adjust to drinking lots of fluids on a daily basis. I use to pee 4-5 times an hour. I have been on Dertol La (Gotta Go Right Now) medication for 3 years now..........Seems to work like a charm. I can now sleep through the night and not have ot get up to go pee. I also can hold it for more than a couple hours. But 2 hours is about it for me....Not really sure who can determine NORMAL.......I do know what comes in has ot come out, but your body will adjust to taking in more fluids. My doctor said I had a weak bladder? This Detrol La seems to do the trick! Hope you find out what works for you! Hugs!
|

replied April 5th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I on the other hand have to limit my fluid intake due to my kidney problems. Everyone is different and as Fairy Godmother said it is hard to determine what is normal.
IC will not be picked up on a urine test. They do have certain tests now to check for this. It is only recent that doctors are taking these symptoms seriously.
I do know the medications help a lot of people,it might be worth it to try one of them.
|

User Profile
replied April 5th, 2008
Experienced User
Not once,do i get up during the night for a pee.
I never peed the bed once when i was potty training or even after potty training which is a good sign.

I have a small figure,so i've only ever required that much fluid when exhausted in summer.My body will find it very hard to adjust.

I am 15 and my time limit is two hours.I seriously have to be extremely careful when going out.If i drank a lot,i'd be getting caught short! I'd be having to sneak behind bushes,seriously.

I don't think anyone can determine normal.I once read that a person who can drink over 5 liters and hold their bladder for 24 hours is the definition of normal when it comes to bladder strength.Anything below 17 hours is incontinence which i think the person who said that was talking out of their back end.
|

User Profile
replied April 6th, 2008
Experienced User
I'll ask (nag Laughing ) my mum to take me to the doctor Very Happy
|

User Profile
replied April 6th, 2008
Community Volunteer
catonia wrote:
Nope.I did a Urine test though and the results came back fine. Smile

Today,i walked up too many hills,so i was exhausted and De-Hydrated,but i was worried about having a drink of water whilst out.I drank a load of water and never had to look for the nearest bathroom once at it was several hours ago. Mr. Green

I was once indoors and i drank about two liters of water in less than half an hour and my stomach swelled up and i was in pain,but it went away because i was in the bathroom peeing Gallons every 5 minutes.I really shouldn't have drank that much.

Basically,the more i drink,the more i need trips to the bathroom,though i can drink loads when exhausted and De-hydrated and not need to bathroom for hours.
Also,the faster i throw Gallons down my throat when not thirsty,the shorter i can hold pee in!

I hope this info helped a bit more! Smile

Fairy Godmother game some good advice up there Smile

You know, I really think this is normal....but I mean you have to go to the bathroom like clockwork or is it once you have to go you HAVE to go because you can't hold it? I was just wondering since it isn't clear to me whether you have to go every 2 hours or once you have to go, you can't hold it for more than 2 hours.

It makes sense also that if you are exhausted and dehydrated you don't have to go for a long time. That's because the water stays in your system and goes where it's needed and doesn't end up in the bladder. The only water that ends up in the bladder is water that couldn't be absorbed by the body. That's why if you drink a lot too fast, your body can't absorb that much water that quickly, so a lot ends up there. IF you keep yourself consistently hydrated then you will not have that problem. Know how much you need. I know everyone is supposed to have the typical amount of 6-8 glasses of water daily, but don't tell me that someone who is 5 foot needs as much water as a man over 6 ft. I think we need to use our common sense.

I also read that if you drink when you are thirsty, it's already too late. Drink consistently in smaller amounts so that you won't get thirsty.

If you are not waking in the middle of the night to go every two hours, then maybe it is more of an anxiety related issue bacause you are thinking about it all the time? Sometime when someone yawns, other people fee like yawning, same with if someone has to use the bathroom, someone else suddenly gets the urge too.

I can't believe that normal continence level is 17 hours.....that IS talking out of your back end lol. It just stands to reason that the body needs to cleanse itself and you need to go. And the more you put in, then the more is going to have to come out. Don't tell me my kids have bladder incontinence because they go to the bathroom 3 or 4 times a day lol.
|

replied April 6th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
17 hours that is not right.
I am glad you are going to talk to your mom and have her take you to the doctor.
It's good you are not getting up at night to go.

Let us know what happens with the doctor.
|

User Profile
replied April 6th, 2008
Experienced User
All i'm worried about is i can only hold it for around two hours.

If i limit my fluid intake a lot,i haven't needed to go for up to several hours.Not even the slightest urge.
|

User Profile
replied April 6th, 2008
Experienced User
mominashoe wrote:

or once you have to go, you can't hold it for more than 2 hours.

Yes! Exactly.That's the only thing i got concerned about.
|

User Profile
replied April 6th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Nope, normal and not a problem. Urine is toxic....your not supposed to hold it: that's really bad for you, so if you have to go, just go!

I believe that since you don't have any issues during the night, this is a clear indication you don't have a problem.....

http://www.rizvimd.com/female.htm

Urinary Incontinence

Urinary Incontinence is very common. But, some people are too embarrassed to get help.

Prevalence of urinary incontinence among women in the United States between 15 and 64 years of age ranges from 10 to 30 percent. The good news is that millions of patients are being successfully treated and cured. Many women with urinary incontinence withdraw from social life and try to hide the problem from their families, friends and even from their doctors.

It is important to tell your health care provider (such as a doctor or nurse) about the problem. You may even want to bring this booklet with you to help you talk about your incontinence.

Urinary incontinence is not a natural part of aging. It can happen at any age, and can be caused by many physical conditions. Many causes of incontinence are temporary and can be managed with simple treatment. Some causes of temporary incontinence are:

* Urinary tract infection
* Vaginal infection or irritation
* Constipation
* Effects of medicine

Incontinence can be caused by other conditions that are not temporary. Other causes of incontinence are:

* Weakness of muscles that hold the bladder in place
* Weakness of the bladder itself
* Weakness of the urethral sphincter muscles
* Overactive bladder muscles
* Blocked urethra
* Hormone imbalance in women
* Neurologic disorders
* Immobility (not being able to move around)

In almost every case, these conditions can be treated. Your health care provider will help to find the exact cause of your incontinence.

Types of Incontinence

There are also many different types of incontinence. Some people have more than one type of incontinence. You should be able to identify the type of incontinence by comparing it to the list below.

1. Urge incontinence

People with urge incontinence lose urine as soon as they feel a strong need to go to the bathroom.

If you have urge incontinence you may leak urine:

* When you can't get to the bathroom quickly enough
* When you drink even a small amount of liquid, or when you hear or touch running water
* You may go to the bathroom very often; for example, every two hours during the day and night
* You may even wet the bed

2. Stress incontinence

People with stress incontinence lose urine when they exercise or move in a certain way. If you have stress incontinence, you may leak urine:

* When you sneeze, cough, or laugh
* When you get up from a chair or out of bed
* When you walk or do other exercise
* You may also go to the bathroom often during the day to avoid accidents.

3. Overflow incontinence

People with overflow incontinence may feel that they never completely empty their bladder. If you have overflow incontinence, you may:

* Often lose small amounts of urine during the day and night
* Get up often during the night to go to the bathroom
* Often feel as if you have to empty your bladder but can't
* Pass only a small amount of urine but feel as if your bladder is still partly full
* Spend a long time at the toilet, but produce only a weak, dribbling stream of urine

Some people with overflow incontinence do not have the feeling of fullness, but they lose urine day and night.
|

User Profile
replied April 6th, 2008
Experienced User
* You may also go to the bathroom often during the day to avoid accidents.

I go before i go on long journeys and i don't drink anything if i'm going on a train,coach or car journey.
Is that just common sense,though? Confused
|

replied August 26th, 2008
difficulty peeing
my advice. pee as often as you can. whenever you feel the urge, pee. if you can't pee one of the reasons might be the reasons i CAN'T pee. My bladder muscles are too distended and weak. I have to catheterize four time a day to clear the urine. Don't drink too much fluid. All that talk about 3 quarts is ludicrous. There is no definitive amount yet recommended by doctors. You get a lot of fluid through eating solid foods. Fruit is 85% plus water, even bread is something like 15% water. be sensible but don't overwork your bladder. you don't want the volume backing up and giving you kidney problems.

BTW i got my problem from holding on to my pee too long. some sort of reaction to stress and other reasons. Control issues. Please take my advice. Listen to your body or it will stop talking to you.
|

replied August 20th, 2010
Possible psychological urination avoidance factors
Sometimes people hold urine due to psychological barriers that come from existing urinary problems which cause pain. A useful resource that may help understand urinary tract problems is http://www.redurine.com/ which discusses all the possible problems with urination.
|

replied November 17th, 2010
you can get a Kegel8 and they ship to the U.S. now. this will help with uninary incontinence and make your muscles stronger.
|

User Profile
replied February 9th, 2012
I was on Santura XL because suddenly I had urgent incontinence. The medication helped and I took it for two years. Then, I had the opposite problem. Turned out, I had the problem not because of my bladder, but because of the compressed nerves in my back. I had back surgery a year earlier than when the problem seemed to be going away. It just took that long for the nerves to heal. The Santura gave my bad tremors. Stopped taking it and the tremors resolved and no more incontinence. You might look into spinal nerve issues if you have a bad back, too.
|
12 >>
Tags: urine, bladder
Quick Reply