Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

Holding conversations with myself (Page 1)

Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
Hello i'm 17 years old. And i've been suffering from something for as long as i can remember.. going all the way back to elementary school. I am ALWAYS talking to myself. Actually holding conversations with myself. sometimes i make up imaginary or fantasy senerios and act them out with myself. my mind is always wondering and sometimes i feel a disconnect. At times i even have conversations with myself about having conversations with myself!! if that makes sense. i ask myself if i should tell someone and my problem. Is this normal? I am not an only child and me and my sister grew up as best friends so its not like i was lonely. is this because of my introverted personality or is there something wrong?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 16th, 2010
Active User, very eHealthy
Thats just the wrong question, "is this normal?" Don't ask that, this is not a problem at all if you are only talking to yourself, people do this all of the time in many different ways.

I just don't get why that would be a problem. And if it is going okay, then it's actually a bit funny.

In fact, people should talk to themselves more often.
|

Wow thanks! I've really been thinking something is wrong with me.
|

Schizophrenia, in general, is where you hear voices, which cannot be distinguished between what is real what is abnormal. In most cases, someone who has Schizophrenia, have voice telling them to hurt themselves, and in extreme cases (which the media preys on and the public hears about the most) is for the person to hurt someone else.

If you are not hearing "voices", then I don't think it is a "problem" per say. Although talking to your family doctor about it wouldn't hurt. They are not going to say you are crazy or judge you in any way, they are going to do their job to help you if they feel it is more serious than a conversation with yourself.

Hope this helps.
|

replied November 17th, 2010
Im njust like that.
Im exactly like you, i have converstations in my head most of the time, sometimes i feel like im unequal to other people and loose a sense of reality with the real world. Its really confusing, i have been like this for a long time, and once i smoked weed to try and get rid of it because i thought it was stress, it only made things worse and started living im my head. Im not sure what im going to do i dont feel like anybody understands all these thoughts and negatives in my head are completely compulsive and sometimes i dont even realise im doing it because i get so use to doing it
|

User Profile
replied December 16th, 2010
i dont think there is anything un-normal about that at all.but i may be only saying that because i talk to myself alot..
but it is normal to have multiple voices in your head. in fact when you hold conversations with yourself like that, its called conflict of concience (i think thats how you spell it anyway) and so long as you dont have over about 4 voices..its not at all uncommon.
its actually more normal than to not have more than 1 voice to have a convosation and in a way its almost as if to help you understand things or..comprehend single thoughts.
thats how i figured it to be anyways..
i hope that was at all helpful and as long as its not too extreme i wouldnt worry about it
|

replied September 28th, 2012
I understand
These people don't really understand what is actually going on. I am exactly the same as you, age, upbringing, talkativness (particularly with myself), and i often describe it like this: my car experiences more conversation when Im the only one in it.

I talk to myself so much it always takes over an hour for my brains to shut up. In fact, Im posting here because its 1:46am and Im not asleep yet, I was in bed at 9. I had a talk with my psychologist about this, and we knuckle it down to borderline schizophrenia. Which is simply having voices not your own in your head, regardless of what they are saying.

I will often start a conversation with my girlfriend about the weather or some perfectly normal thing, when Im he only person in the room. I've had jovial conversations with batman, captain Jack sparrow, even the guy that robbed me a few years ago.
|

User Profile
replied November 11th, 2012
I have this problem as well. i'm only 14, but my mom tells me I've been talking to myself ever since i was little. (i even had my own made up language of gibberish!) i can totally relate to @haycroft. not only do i lose sleep over it, but it prevents me from being productive. i could be doing my homework or drawing or something, but no, i spend countless hours talking to me and my "imaginary friends." The only reason why i googled "why do i have full conversations with myself?" was cuz it's getting in the way with my life and it needs to stop. is it too much that i "talk" to people that i'm friends with more than i do to them in person?
|

replied December 31st, 2012
I am a 17 year old female dealing with a very similar issue. I have conversations with others in my head, but they are more like fantasy. They are conversations or situation between real people in my life, people I know of but not personally (like celebrities) and sometimes made up people. It isn't like the made up people are reoccurring or telling me to do anything though. I mostly only do this when I am alone, like in the shower, before I fall asleep, etc. I very rarely do it when I am in public, but I do do this daily. I look forward to it sometimes, it is relaxing.
Is this a normal way to think or should I be concerned?
|

replied February 20th, 2013
i do this all the time in my head. it gets a little confusing talking to two different me's with differing opinions and personalities, but i don't see what's wrong with it. so long as it's not decreasing my ability to do anything and it's not hurting anyone else, why not? in fact, it's actually quite refreshing. nobody understands me better than my own internal components. so, no, i don't think you should be concerned. just know that some people aren't as... welcoming to the idea of it as i and may discriminate against you if you make it public. i've been down that rathole and isolation is not fun.
|

replied April 7th, 2013
Hi I'm 21 and I do this all day everyday,I only googled this to see if I was the only one.. For me it's actually like I'm living a total different life in private at one point I started to believe I was crazy or even depressed but this has been going on for as long as I can remember its like I play out events a certain way they should go. I'm unsure if its normal but at times I can't help it
|

User Profile
replied April 7th, 2013
Community Volunteer
Hi Naee and welcome to ehealth: Many people do this...In many ways it kind of keeps your brain moving...I think doing this is far better than going into deep despair....Not to worry...Take care...

Caroline....
|

replied April 7th, 2013
I am 13 and I talk to myself a lot. I have philisophical conversations with myself. Its a way for me to argue both points and keep an open mind.I dont care what people think. For me this is just a way to sort things out, its sort of quick meditation. But that is what it is for me, I think you should consult a psychologist or parent.
|

replied June 11th, 2013
I also do this...
I'm a 17 year old male, and I do this as well. I have boundaries though, I don't do it anywhere in public or when my parents are home. I don't have to think about it, really, it just doesn't happen. My mind automatically acknowledges that I shouldn't do it under those conditions. I do it when I am completely alone, and it usually starts when I am watching TV, reading an interesting article, or when I am excited about something but have no one to share it with.

I don't hear any voices either, in fact, when I go back and fourth with "someone" I don't reply in their character, I simply just ask myself the question. I think that I do this because I am always alone, I have a unique view on the life around me and I love exposing people to it. Sometimes, when I learn something new or have theories on life, I have no one to share it with...no one to really get feedback from, so I just share it with myself out loud just to see how it sounds. There's nothing wrong about it, I know, but it's just really weird hahaa

I completely agree with ckeith73, and brawl113, it is incredibly refreshing and relaxing. I look forward to it as well. It's best when I am stoned on pot because it really helps me step back and look at myself from a different perspective. I end up getting really, really deep in questions about the universe and technology, and the fact that we are just microscopic, bacterial, talking monkeys on an organic rock floating through the middle of f**king space. I have a lot of questions and theories that people get bored of for some reason, so I just share them with myself....I actually end up learning new things of myself by doing this. I'm glad other people are like me.
|

replied June 18th, 2013
Hello, I Am Laimis, I am 20 in 4 Days, and I sometimes do this, when i'm at work, whilst working, E.G. I get a text from a girl I like, and when I reply that's when I start thinking what her reply could be, and what I would follow with, and this goes on for ever, it took me some months to figure out what is wrong with me, and I do think that, it is an issue because, When I don't do this(I learnt to avoid doing so) I can talk to the person I like more freely. And my assumption is: DO NOT THINK WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO SAY. THINK WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO. Purely because when the moment comes, trust yourself you will know what to say. It's only a matter of fighting it, as I have done countlessly, Every time I am about to start a conversation in my mind I Say to my self "DO NOT THINK WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO SAY, THINK WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO" and that really helps me, at first it didn't work, but as time does it's part, I started catching my self earlier, and earlier, in the conversation, until I finally Managed to lower it down, to the first sentence. Not quite yet got rid off it. But Now, I am Sure, I will Eventually fight it off, completely. It is only a matter of time. Just to add A conclusion, By Doing this I am shutting my self in my mind. And When I stopped, I began to open up. So really Don't Do this as you are shutting your self in. If you are having trouble doing this try and speak out load, I found that it helps too. I hope This helps a lot of people.
|

replied June 22nd, 2013
I am 16 years old and i have conversation with myself everyday
I find myself just having a conversation with myself and I wonder am I going crazy or do everyone do it... I am glad I am not going crazy or anything. I have conversation with myself when I want to ask someone something and is afraid I talk to myself like its another person hoping that's how the conversation going to go so I know what I am going to say.
|

replied July 31st, 2013
is it normal to argue with myself
I have arguments with myself in my head. Example
"I really want to yell at my mom that she's wrong"
"No don't you'll get in trouble"
"I don't care I'm mad I want to"
"No don't. Its not that big of a deal and its not worth it"
"SHUT UP I DONT CARE I WANT TO"

all in my head with myself. Is this normal?
|

replied August 8th, 2013
Well with me, I've been talking to myself for as long as I can remember. I don't necessarily have two sided conversations with myself a lot, but sometimes I do. I usually think of imaginary situations and what people would say and such. I don't like talking to myself in front of people because I'm of what they'd think of me. I always have conversations with myself when I'm alone. I think I do it because I don't like silence and I feel lonely. Although I do sometimes hear voices in my head that I don't think are necessarily mine. Does that sound weird? My parents are concerned because they've heard me before, but I don't think I'm crazy. And I also tend to lose a lot of sleep because I'm thinking about everything.
|

User Profile
replied August 25th, 2013
I'm a 17 year old female and I've been doing since ever. But,I was shocked to find more people like me going through this. I always thought that i was either going crazy or i needed to get out more. When i hold conversations with myself its almost like an outer body experience because i forget about time. Its almost as if i am sleeping. But I feel as if its getting worse because I've started doing it in public and I don't want to be known as the crazy girl. Right before this I held a conversation with Kim Kardashian and Kanye West, looking at myself in the mirror. And it sounds funny but it feels scary to me that i do this. I'm glad other people my age go through this. It mean i'm not the only one but should i talk to a doctor about this? I've never really told anyone about this problem. But I've had situations where i would go to the bathroom during class and space out and someone would have to go searching for me. What should i do?
|

replied September 11th, 2013
Schizophrenia
I just turned 14 and I've been hearing voices ever since I was little and I have full blown conversations with myself to idk if that's a bad thing or a good thing but the voices I hear never tell me to hurt myself or hurt others they help me whenever I'm upset and I remember talking to them all the time ever since I was a little kid idk if I'm mentally ill and I'm scared to ask my mom about it bc she has rly bad anxiety and I don't wanna freak her out and I have other siblings so it's not like I'm lonely but I am very disconnected from my family and I lock my feelings away if any one could help me and give me more info on this I'd be greatful
|
12 >>
Quick Reply