Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Hives and Rashes during Menopause?

Must Read
What is menopause? Peri menopause? How long does menopause last? Get the facts on menopause, "the big change", here. ...
Symptoms of menopause and perimenopause affect women in different ways. What common signs and early symptoms of menopause can alert you of "the change"?...
Consult your doctor as your body makes the perimenopause transition. But how do doctors confirm the beginning of menopause? Learn more here....
Hello, I am going through menopause and for the past 2 months now I seem to break out in hives around my neck, breast area, stomach and even arms. I take benedry at night and again in the morning so that the rashes are under control. I don't have night sweats, and occasionally I have some hot flashes--nothing else. I had the FSH test done, so I know I'm in menopause.
Have you ever heard of women in menopause and having itchy rash/hives?? What can I do about I? Thank you!
Very sincerely,
Catherine
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper knitter4years
|

replied June 13th, 2010
I have it too. How are you doing
I hope you are doing better. I am nearly 47 and I've been dealing with terrible outbreaks of hives since late Spring, 2009. Our dropping hormones totally affect the parts of our immune response involved in allergies and the link is documented. You are much more sensitive to things you have never been sensitized to before.

Hives, or urticaria, all over the body is often from ingestion of food or a chemicals in food. I have brand new sensitivities to food which I've never had before and they are causing me hives. I break out in hives from tomatoes, oranges, strawberries, and other acidic foods. I get horrible hives and swelling of my face from pistachios and cashews for the first time in my life. God help me if I eat any MSG, which is in so many foods. I had 3 horrid outbreaks of hives this month before I realized that the Hillshire Farms Beer Brats I at contained MSG.

All of the things I've mentioned I'm now sensitive to are common food allergies to many people. We perimenopausal women are much more sensitive and this is new in history. So many of us having hives during perimenopause hasn't been previously documented, and considering how debilitating many of our outbreaks are, it would have been documented in previous generations if women in generations past had been having the problem.

I am going to avoid all fruit and eat simple foods I recognize like chicken, rice, carrots, greens, potatoes, and the like, all freshly prepared by me. This is a very basic allergy diet. If I don't have relief in the next couple of weeks, I plan to go on hormone replacement therapy.

The only thing that give my hive outbreaks relief even slightly is cortisone cream and cold showers and loose and light clothing. No underwear on top or bottom during a breakout. What a mess for me.
|

replied November 30th, 2011
omg i too am getting hives at night time or if i get stressed even just a little i will break out i take benedryl and take cold showers too and they go away i missed only 3 periods in a row so far/but have very irregular cycles now but im 52 and have been tested for menopause/ it all my estrogen levels it is awfull welts itching swelling then just as fast as they come they go /i too cant wear the clothes i want any more if its too hot i break out or too cold i just cant win if you suffer with this take peace of mind your now alone
|

replied December 4th, 2011
This disorder is autoimmune progesterone histamine dermatitis. It does not get better with time. There are few medications that work for it and they have side effects, lupron is one my gynecologist mentioned. A true cure and treatment is removal of our ovaries and that will stop the progesterone production.

My Autoimmune Progesterone Histamine Dermatitis was triggered by the drop in estrogen that accompanies perimenopause. My immune system became irritated and began to attack the progesterone with histamine, causing the hives. But the inflammation with this disorder is internal as well as external. It's miserable.

I had an oopharectomy and hysterectomy on the 29th of November and am on an estrogen patch and doing fine.

Please find a caring physician who will look in to your disorder. It is autoimmune progesterone histamine dermatitis. If they go looking elsewhere they are wasting your time and your money. I've been there and done that. I finally switched doctors and got compassionate care with doctors who aren't lazy and closed minded. This disorder is so under the radar and underdiagnosed. It is very common.

There are few options for this problem and surgical removal of our ovaries is the best one. With an estrogen patch, I feel great and I'm in better shape after surgery than I have been for the 2.5 years I've had Autoimmune progesterone histamine dermatitis.
|

replied January 21st, 2012
Menapause and hives
I can relate to everyone of you. I am 65 years old and started having severe hot flashes and hives breaking out on me. Like you, if I drink cold water, take lukewarm showers and not wear tight clothing It does better. I went to an allergist and he said I wasn't allergic to anything. He took the test where they stick you a 100 times. Not allergic to any food or to any other thing. It's so weird. But, if I eat something my body lets me know that. It starts getting itchy and then a hive will break out here and there. I told my family doctor about it and he gave me some cream and it helps. If it keeps on I will have to go to a skin doctor. I am doing the process of elimination thing. Allergy says no allergies, so next will be the skin doctor. Don't know what to do. It's an aweful feeling.
|

Hi Mitzi,
Google autoimmune progesterone dermatitis. You may have developed this from menopause. The drop in estrogen and the continued production of progesterone triggered my allergy to my OWN Progesterone.

Now that I've had a hysterectomy with the ovaries removed, (I"m 4Cool, I do not have the hives with my cycle, but I do get hives still.

My allergist explalined that my body is sensitized and it's going to act up over nothing even when the source is now gone.

Mine have been horrible and stop me from exercising. I've limited my diet and that helps a lot. But I"m not cured even with a hysterectomy. My own diet changes have helped, as have curtailing exertion of any kind. Slow and easy is all I can handle, emotionally and physically.
|

Go to youtube.com and look at the videos by hivesinfo
I've been following her protocol she got from a doctor and it's working so much. I'm not at 100% but I"m way better. Please look. I'm thrilled I found this young woman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehib6sTHGbY &feature=related

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzuzcmSma-g
|

And one more thing I need to mention. throughout this long journey to getting much better, I found that I had a vitamin D deficiency and low thyroid.

I did not feel better until I got vitamin d3 supplements as my doctor told me to take, and got to the top of the range of normal for my thyroid level. I was in a normal range and I did not get the full relief till I got to the top of the range for normal. I'm grateful for doctors who are smart, who care and who listened to me with compassion.

Oh, and the allergist has me on 2 antihistamines. I've been practicing the diet and taking the medicines for thyroid and vitamin d3 for a couple of months and I just got started on the antihistamines. I never got relief from the hives from antihistamines before, but he's hopeful now what is left will get better now that all the other stuff has helped so much.
|

replied April 12th, 2012
Menopause hives & rash
Hey, I am so glad I got on this site to read about autoimmune progesterone histamine dermatitis. I am 51yrs old and just in the last month started breaking out in hives/rashes,lip, eye and nose swelling. I thought it was my food. I never ever had allergies to anything until my hot flashes start coming more frequent. I just got a allergy appointment for tomorrow. But I am so glad I at least have an idea what is going on. No mood swings, and no emotional changes yet. I just hope I can get a treatment without using HRT. I had a hysterectomy about 8 years ago, still have my ovaries. Family history of ovarian and breast cancer. Really cancer run on both side of my family. Had been taking black cohosh since early 2011 when the hot flashes started. Also was treated for vitamin D deficiency. Bone density test, cholesterol level all good. Annual exam report was all very good. Hope MD can recommend a treatment that works. Wish me luck.
|

replied May 24th, 2012
Hot, itchy neck during menopause? Me, too!
Ugh! I just turned 40, and according to the doctors have been post menopausal since I had my son at age 35. I haven't had a period since then, unless you count the 3 days that I bled after I delivered my TWINS in July of 2011. Yes, I was post menopausal with an FSH of 70, Estradiol of less than 10 and LH of 56. Still got knocked up.

Menopause hasn't actually been that bad. It's been five years since I've seen a period, which is awesome. And the hot flashes have mainly been relegated to nighttime, so it's not like I'm sitting at work sweating. Though my general body temperature seems to have risen. I never get cold anymore, that's for sure. And my husband works third shift, so I only have to worry about flooding him out of bed on weekends. Plus I've been busy with my son who was a planned blessing and my twin daughters who were a total shock, but are just as cool to have. So my poor brain has not only menopause brain but mommy brain to deal with, so I've been a bit of a disaster there.

But the last month or so, my NECK has been horrid! The hot itchies is what I call it. There isn't any actual redness or rash or anything (well, until I dig at it for an hour), but it's just this horrible, prickly, itchy, hot sensation. Sometimes I get something vaguely similar on my inner arms or stomach, but nowhere near as intense.

I don't know if this matters, but when I was pregnant both times, I developed all these little skin tags all over my neck. I got a bunch with my son, then developed probably another dozen or so when I was pregnant with the twins. It itches worse around those, if that's even possible. Some of those I have itched to bleeding. And sometimes it travels up my neck onto my face.

So I'm going to talk to my doctor about all this craziness and it really helps to read your stories and know that I'm not alone. Maybe I'll print some of these and take them with me, too. Appreciate it, ladies!
|

replied September 19th, 2012
Hives and Rashes during Menopause
First I just turned 39 and for the past 6 months I have been dealing with possible peri-menopause symptoms; hot flashes, occasional night sweats and the weird rash on my chest that shows up right before my period starts and lasts for about 7 days after.

Thank you so much for posting that about the rash and looking up 'autoimmune progesterone dermatitis'. That sounds exactly like what I have been dealing with.
http://dermnetnz.org/reactions/progesteron e-dermatitis.html

It also said to avoid BC which I took for two months during June & July 2012. Rash did stop during that time but I gained a bunch of weight so quickly no matter what I ate and how hard I worked out. Since I stopped taking it I feel like I am making some progress in reversing that... I hope.

I have been considering Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy. That article made me consider that option again. To get a good baseline they wanted me to be off the BC for 6 weeks. My general doctor is against this option but he really dismissed the rash as an allergic reaction to food (which it could be due to sensitivity).
|

replied September 17th, 2013
perimenopause and Hives
Thanks for the useful info. I have been having hives all over for the past month. Most people said it was due to stress. After a while, I felt it may be linked to menopause and started to google for a link between the 2. I am going for blood test tomorrow to check out the cancer marker too just to be safe. if it is due to menopause, I will try to monitor the triggers. I feel like a monkey constantly scratching. Avoiding medication to monitor and see if it gets better or worse by the day.
|

replied February 6th, 2014
You guys are totally awesome! I'm so glad that my lumps and rashes aren't just something that have appeared from nowhere!!!

I'm 44 and have been going through menopause for just over 2 years... I love not having periods!!! The constant heat is ok to manage as long as its not over 30C... that's when I wear ice packs and have a couple of showers a day. I look like that little penguin in the cartoon "Sitting Ducks"!!!
I don't like the constant aches and pains in my joints or the swelling from fluid retention. My chiro says its arthritis. Nothing we can do but mnage the pain. The hives and itching is less manageable than the pain... its awful. The mood swings are under control using herbal and chemical meds and lots of vitamin B Smile And lots of dark leafy greens help alot too.

This is a good couple of years after the topic was first started, but I'm hoping that some of you might get notifications of this message Smile

How are you all going now? After a couple of years, I would hope that something has worked... please share with us newbies! I hope you're all feeling great Smile Thank you!!!
|

replied February 8th, 2014
Good to know I am not alone and it's nothing seriously wrong with me other than he inconvenience. I took blood tests for most cancer markers and nothing much showed up. I turned 50 in Jan and have been having hives since last year for the past 6 months. It comes and goes.

As I live in the tropics, it really itches and red angry welts pop up on the body, bum, neck, arm and hands at different times. I feel like a monkey constantly scratching. When I went for a holiday, It was fine.Perhaps it is a combination of stress and menopause for me.
|

User Profile
replied November 14th, 2014
Hives and Hormones!
Hi everyone! I experienced unexplainable hives for 5 long, miserable months, all over my face, neck and some on my chest. It was the absolute worst thing I've ever been through! I live on St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands, so the heat/sun and hives DO NOT MIX!
The doctors had me on so many medications, including steroids. They even did a biopsy and could not figure it out. All they could say was that it was an allergen in my environment and I should take Benadryl. Well I hate taking Benadryl, although I had to take it every single night during the five months. It was the only way I could sleep at all.
I also started having hot flashes around the time that the hives broke out, but the doctors never put the two together. Once I realized the doctors were not going to figure this out and I was no longer going to be a guinea pig for all the medications, I started researching online. I found a chat discussion, similar to this one, with women sharing their stories and I realized that I was peri-menopausal and the hives were related.
Some of the women mentioned Maca powder, which I ran out and bought the next day. I mixed it with water (tasted HORRIBLE- I highly recommend the capsule form) and drank it every morning and night for months. It did help a little, but it didn't stop the hives. Finally, I started taking Bio-identical hormones- Progesterone, and I have not had ANY HIVES SINCE THEN! It's been four months since I've had hives and I am beyond grateful to have my life back. I did ALOT of research before taking the HRT and I believe that bio-identicals are SAFE. I am also taking a lot of natural supplements to support me through menopause, and I practice yoga, eat very healthy, organic whenever possible, use organic skincare products, get lots of rest and live a very healthy lifestyle, as I've come to realize that this is the best way to support myself through the transformation fire of Menopause!
I pray every woman that suffers from hives learns that hormones could be the culprit. Treating the cause, rather than the symptoms, are the only way to heal the imbalance. I believe this is called "Autoimmune Progestorone Histamine Disorder." Most doctors are not familiar, but there is medical research on the subject. Living on this island, we do not have many experts. Thankfully, my family doctor is fairly knowledgeable about hormones, and was willing to prescribe the Progesterone, which I get from Women's International Pharmacy, which has been excellent to work with.
Good luck to you all!
|