Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

HIV Symptoms or ARS ??

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
Sorry in advance for the long post, but thanks in advance for the help!

In the recent months I have had unprotected vaginal intercourse with two women who I do not know that well but assume that they have had many, many partners. The first was maybe 2-3 months ago, and the other was 9 days ago (this one says she got tested "like 2 months ago" and was HIV negative).

Starting last Thursday (almost 6 full days from the most recent encounter, and now 4ish days ago) I started to quickly take on flu-like symptoms. Well, I think they are mostly flu-type symptoms, but let me know what you think. I also got a flu shot a few months ago.

-Fever up to ~101.60 degrees (slowly decreased down to 99.5 now)
-MASSIVE leg muscle soreness, even when sitting or lying down (mainly the calves and hamstrings..pain virtually gone now) and some arm muscle pain for a day or so
-Chills when my fever started to rise (when I waited too long to take more Advil)
-Night sweats (like 2-3 times)
-Sore throat (still prevalent)
-Frequent cough

Would this situation raise a concern for ARS or not really? The same night of my last encounter, I also shared drinking cups with a few people as well (drinking games), so maybe I just picked up a common virus doing that.

1) Do they sound more like a simple flu-type virus than anything else
2) Since the symptoms appeared 2-3 months after the first encounter, and only about 6 days after the second encounter, does that put them outside the usual range for ARS to begin (2-4 week is what I've read on here the most).

Also, the intense muscle soreness is gone, I had a night sweat last night but my mother (a nurse) said that that often happens right before your fever breaks. I woke up this morning with no fever and it just came back slightly this evening (99.5 degrees). My sore throat is also partially better. This all just over 4 days after the symptoms began.

THANKS!!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 18th, 2008
Community Volunteer
I think you mom is right. If the symptoms are fading then it isn't HIV/AIDS. The symptoms for HIV/AIDS would not fade so quickly and the nite sweats would be massive if you were full blown. I think you are fine, get tested again anyway and dont have unprotected sex any more!!Good luck.
|

replied March 19th, 2008
It really is very bad for inducement of anxiety in worry-prone, neurotic people (like myself) that the first sign of a HIV infection is often flu like symptoms

I mean how non-specific and vague does it want to be
damn virus
|

User Profile
replied March 19th, 2008
Community Volunteer
I know...Sad
|

replied March 22nd, 2009
6 days and had flu symptoms .sex
6 days later after having unprotected sex in a spa chlorinated. i had the flu.. slight sore throat, headache little fatigue muscle ache/ pain shooting in left bicep some fever off and on and very soft stools. its been 72 hours now and feeling much better but the cold still lingers somewhat not completely over it. after 6 to 7 days could symptom occur? for ARS / HIV? the girl i was with sleeps around a bit. I'm very worried now this cold/flu hit me 1 week later. what do you think? thanks much .
|

User Profile
replied March 23rd, 2009
Community Volunteer
You really need to get tested.Dont have sex with anyone else until you get tested and know for sure if you do or do not have the virus or any other STDs.
|

replied March 23rd, 2009
2 to 4 weeks ?
hi- doesn't it take 2 to 4 weeks to get the flu like symptoms isn't 6 days too soon or not? how long do i have to wait before taking a test for the virus to show or not show ? so far im feeling better just have slight warm eyes when i close my lids and the sniffles after 4 days of 1st showing flu symptoms . thanks much
|

replied March 24th, 2009
cold
2ed part no answer yet.? 3rd part: looks like a have a nose cold now sneezing runny nose . Sad still 4 days after 1st flu symptom.
|

User Profile
replied March 24th, 2009
Community Volunteer
You R supposed 2 wait 3 months after possible infection to get an accurate test result.
|

replied March 27th, 2009
soon or not ?
hi- doesn't it take 2 to 4 weeks to get the flu like symptoms isn't 6 days too soon or not? thank you
|

User Profile
replied March 27th, 2009
Community Volunteer
yes,6 days is 2 soon...
|

replied April 3rd, 2009
HIV
I have an HIV question, but would like to know the credentials of the person answering my questions. Homerx gave some good advice. Is he a doctor or a person in the medical field?
|

replied April 3rd, 2009
HIV
Sorry, new to site, read Homer's bio, says nothing about credentials. Not trying to be disrespectful, Homer, but I would just like to know where you got your info from that you used to answer Gsxr's questions since my question is the same.

Went to a General Prac. Doctor and asked her if a FLU 58 hours after unprotected sex is without a doubt not HIV related. She said that it isn't proven when the HIV Flulike symptoms occur.

So my question is twofold, "A Flu 58 hours after unprotected sex is too early to be HIV related? ANd whoever answers, can you tell me where you got your info from? Thank YOu."

I'm always wearing Condoms after This!!!!!!!
|

User Profile
replied April 3rd, 2009
Community Volunteer
I have AIDS and have been an AIDS activist for 6 years.I am not a doctor although I worked at Good Shepherd Medical Center before I had a stroke.I was not in the medical field at the hospital.
I am very knowledgeable about this disease but no one is required to take advise on this site...there is a disclaimer. Also, there is ASK A DOCTOR at the top of the page...you have to be early to get the question in as they only answer so many a day.
My advise is just that..advise from someone who has been there. I know what I am talking about but it is up to the individual to either take it or leave it.
I do this as a volunteer to help people.
peace
|

replied April 3rd, 2009
Homerax
I didn't mean to offend you.

If you could please just tell me how you know it's not possible for my flulike systems to be HIV related 58 hours after unprotected sex?

THank You.

SIncerely,
Mike.
|

User Profile
replied April 3rd, 2009
Community Volunteer
Hay Mike...no offense taken.Its all good and there is nothing wrong with asking..
In the majority of the infected population, HIV remains asymptomatic for years. The only way to know if you have HIV is to be tested. It is important to know, however, that it may take up to six months after exposure to the HIV virus before you will test positive on an HIV antibody test, although most infected people will test positive within 3 months. A negative test, therefore, isn't a reliable indicator of your infection status if you were only exposed last week. Tests that look directly for HIV RNA, the virus' genetic material, can detect an infection earlier, but are harder to find.
I got this information here..
http://std.about.com/od/viraldiseases/a/hi voverview.htm
Hope it helps..good luck 2 U.
|

replied April 3rd, 2009
Thanks Homerax
Thanks for taking the time to give me this link, Homerax.

I plan on getting tested in one month, then 3months.

I know the chances of me getting hiv are very low, like 1 in 500, so I wouldn't be concerned if I hadn't gotten all the Flulike symptoms that they listed, fever, sore throat, muscle ache, cankor sores, etc.

But I got these symptoms only 58 hours after unprotected sex, so they have me a little paranoid, lol.

I was just wondering where you heard that it's impossible to have symptoms that soon. I've been searching the internet for an answer, but I'll only get generally 2-4wks. I never get a...,"Hiv symptoms cannot occur within only 58 hours."

Thanks for Taking Your Time to Help.

Sincerely,

Mike
|

replied March 29th, 2011
HIV, sexual health and my potential risks
Its been 4 days since I had unprotected sex with a girl and we did it several times that night. We had done it before a month prior to this, unprotected as well. At the moment, I have the beginning of swollen glands, a sore and swollen throat, colesoars on the sides of my mouth, and also a fever which has included a temperature rise. I'm going to get checked tomorrow morning.

I'm really worried. Is it likely I have HIV?
|