Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

HIV+ Symptoms after years ?

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
Hi,

I had unprotected sex onece, a long time ago , in 1991 with a female of unknown HIV status. Right now I am getting some of the possible symptoms (a bit itchy skin but no rash or any other signs; slight weakness in arms and legs; some joint pain; but no fever, no sweats or swollen lymph nodes, etc) and I was wondering --- if I really was HIV+ wouldn't I be getting these symptoms earlier? Wouldn't I experience more severe symptos during all this time? I never had any health problems all this years.

I plan to get tested soon, but just wanted to ask..

Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 7th, 2008
Community Volunteer
No, the symptoms can take a decade or longer to show up and sometimes they don't show up at all until it goes from HIV to AIDS. Its always a good idea to get tested. Do so. If you are positive then you can start meds and get on the road to recovery, if you are negative then you can put this behind you and move on. Good Luck.
|

replied April 7th, 2008
Wow.. I definitely didn't know you can go from HIV+ to AIDS without any symptoms.

I thought that 17 years without any symptoms (or any health problems at all) was sort-of safe bet that I am not HIV+. Well.. I guess there's really nothing like "if you don't get sick after xx years, then you don't have it."

Gonna get tested, now I have every reason to do so.

Thanks for your quick response, homerx.
|

User Profile
replied April 7th, 2008
Community Volunteer
No problem...let me know if I can help...good luck.
|

User Profile
replied April 8th, 2008
Supporter
homerx wrote:
No, the symptoms can take a decade or longer to show up and sometimes they don't show up at all until it goes from HIV to AIDS. Its always a good idea to get tested. Do so. If you are positive then you can start meds and get on the road to recovery, if you are negative then you can put this behind you and move on. Good Luck.

I went from HIV+ to AIDS without knowing about the HIV and it has been almost 15 years living with AIDS. God knows for how long I had HIV. They knew I had AIDS because I contracted an AIDS defining pneumonia. That was in 1991/92. Then I had TB in 1994/95. If it were not for these illnesses, I would never have known I had HIV neither would the medical staff. HIV is a slow killer yet it is very devastating. Wipes our nations and families...

Glad you are getting a test. I admire your courage and all the best to you.

Muthoni (Mson)
|