Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

HIV risk or just OCD?

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
I’m a twenty year old gay student who recently had sex with my new boyfriend (started dating him a month ago, it’s been official about a week). The thing is that for the first minute or so it was unprotected (I was the receptive). We quickly fixed this error and put on a condom, and he did not ejaculate during the sex while it was protected or unprotected. However I am still afraid of a possible HIV contraction from pre-seminal fluid.

Thankfully he had a recent HIV test done and came up negative. However he had this test only four weeks after unprotected oral sex with a different partner (this was before me). He asked his partner whether or not they were HIV positive and they said no, and my boyfriend said he only remembers receiving oral sex.

I am planning on getting tested in six weeks regardless, but should I be losing sleep over this or is my risk relatively low?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 24th, 2011

Hello and thank you for posting your medical question on E health Forum.

But it is possible for either partner to become infected with HIV through performing or receiving oral sex with a person infected with HIV.

If the person performing oral sex has HIV, blood from their mouth may enter the body of the person receiving oral sex.

If the person receiving oral sex has HIV, their blood, semen (cum), pre-seminal fluid (pre-cum) may contain the virus. Cells lining the mouth of the person performing oral sex may allow HIV to enter their body.

The risk of HIV transmission when either of the partner is infected, increases with the presence of open cuts, sores, in the mouth, presence of other STDs. The risk increases also if the person receiving oral sex ejaculates in the mouth of the person performing oral sex.

Transmission of Infection via oral sex with a partner can be prevented by - using a latex barrier. Ex. a condom (latex or polyurethane) on the penis.

PLEASE NOTE that HIV is transmitted by any activity where body fluids are exchanged, such as:

• Unprotected vaginal, anal and oral sex
• Unhygienic Intravenous drug use
• Poorly sterilized dental and medical equipment
• Unhygienic tattooing
• Unhygienic acupuncture
• Poorly screened blood transfusions
• HIV infected mother to child transmission

The risk of HIV infection is high with unprotected intercourse with partner of unknown HIV status, risky sexual behavior, multiple sexual partners, IV drug use, and association with other STDs.

In case where HIV tests in the partners done have been negative, the risk of HIV transmission is considerably less.

You are absolutely right in undergoing a HIV testing. You might get reassured after testing negative for the same.

If you still have doubts, you might consider to consult with your doctor who can provide reassurance and also can clear all your doubts that you may have.

I hope this helps

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.