Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

HIV risk at nail salon

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
Sad Yesterday I was at a nail salon and the woman was trimming my cuticles and she took a chunk out of one and it started to bleed. Before I sat down I asked if the utensils had been cleaned and she said yes. Her hands were in tact, she even let me look at them. I watched her take out the utensils from a lazor light thing and she opened a sealed package. I do not think that the towel was clean underneath, but I did not see blood on it. I went to wash my hands and there was a woman next to me washing hers. When I grabed a paper towel there was 2 spots of greenish yellow on it and my mond is telling me that it was blood or puss. When I got cut, I freaked out because I think you all should know that I have a pretty messed up case of obssesive compulsive disorder and a lot of my obsessions are about hiv and germs. I need to know if I should go get tested for this. My mom was with me and shes an RN she told me not to freak out but I'm obviously having a little trouble with that. Please write back anyone who has time. I would love to have some feedback. Thanks so much to those who read this and respond.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 17th, 2008
Community Volunteer
get tested if you are going to freak out about it...it isn't likely but if you have OCD then do it and get it over with so you can move on...Why would you be focused on HIV and germs...the 2 are not connected and it is kind of a slap in the face to people with HIV. HIV is not able to live in the air...it is not easy to get ... it is a serious illness that people should not obsess over but be aware of. HIV is not a germ, its a virus that lives in the blood.
|

replied February 19th, 2009
HIV from pimples...
If you pop a pimple on the back/face of a person with HIV can it be transmitted to you through the white puss that comes out. There was no blood but just the while puss, is that considered a bodily fluid?
|

User Profile
replied February 20th, 2009
Community Volunteer
No,you cant get it that way unless there is blood mixing with your blood.Urine and fesses and vomit are all body fluids as well and you cant get it from them either...
|

replied February 20th, 2009
Meg

Listen to your mom!
I think it is very unlikely you were infected with anything.

Don't worry. Please don't freak out it will not help you.

homerx.

Being OCD and having a fear about something isn't a slap in the face to anyone.

No one is saying that HIV is not a serious illness.

Paranoia and having heart attacks from random fears is not fun.
Then obsessing over random details can drive a person crazy.
The mind and the fear can actually make a person feel physically ill even when there is nothing wrong.
|

User Profile
replied March 9th, 2009
Experienced User
I had ocd when I was younger and would obsess over Hiv/Aids ... simply because it is a virus with no cure. You shouldn't take that personal homerex people with ocd find it very difficult. I never went to the beach in fear of needle stick injury. I basically spent my childhood in bubble wrap until I started investigating for myself and looking into disease facts. Now I am a paramedic and have over come my OCD and I am currently at uni attempting a PHD so hopefully one day I can help with the cure. She is not trying to offend you by saying aids is her fear.
|

replied February 3rd, 2010
I work in a diy store and as I was scanning a customers purchases I pricked myself on a bag of nails. My thumb bled a little, and the customer said he also caught himself when picking the bag up off the shelf. Do you think theres any risk at all? I mean im 99% sure he's not got any sort of blood infection, and I know that blood diseases can't live outside the body for more than a fw seconds, but im extremely paranoid regarding blood etc.

Any replies would be much appreciated
|

replied October 11th, 2011
crazyquestion
I went to the nail salon the other day.. And the lady accidentally cut my finger, it hurt but it barely bled so i didn't think anything of it at all. But now it's been days since i got that manicure but my finger still hurts and the side of my finger where she cut it is a little crusty and looks a little weird, I haven't had any blood work done since i was eleven.I am now 18 years old, should I be worried? I'm probably just being paranoid... Please, any reply will help. Smile
|

?
go get tested if u wondering if u should never take things so easy cause u could be something from a salon im taking a salon class and i readed u cpuld get a diseas from one so if anything ever happens to u in a salon go get check just in case its better to be safe then sorry
|

?
go get tested if u wondering if u should never take things so easy cause u could be something from a salon im taking a salon class and i readed u cpuld get a diseas from one so if anything ever happens to u in a salon go get check just in case its better to be safe then sorry
|