Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

hiv pcr test for early result? is it ok?

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
User Profile
i had unsafe sex with sexworker before 15 days.my friend told me to test hiv pcr test for early result.is it ok

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 29th, 2012
HIV and AIDS Answer A33397
Welcome to e health forum.

Please note that PCR test (viral load test) are neither approved or recommended for routine HIV testing, and it is not a test to confirm the absence of HIV infection.

It is done only in specific cases, where there is direct injection of HIV blood into the blood stream, which sometimes occurs in health care workers. It is not meant for people to check within the first 4 weeks post exposure, if they have HIV, after low risk exposures (unprotected intercourse, oral sex, etc).

Many individuals resort to doing such tests in the window period (before 4 weeks) to clear their anxiety, and testing centers may not advice them properly.

HIV infection can be ruled only by absence of HIV antibodies. In individuals with a low risk probability, screening with ELISA tests for HIV antibody, should be done after 4 weeks post exposure, and if found negative, should repeat it every 4 weeks until 12 weeks.

In specific cases, if the history of the patient and the risk associated appears to be low, at the discretion of the doctor, additional repeating of the tests can be avoided.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.