Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

HIV PCR RNA Qualitative test on 8th day after the exposure

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
Hi Doctor,
I had undergone pcr rna qualitative test and is negative on 8th - 9th day after the exposure. I have a lot of confusion over this test and got mixed opinions about the way it is done. Some say it looks for minimum copies and some doctors say it looks exactly for every single copy of the virus. Can you please clarify this. I am really freaking out of this and already have become a phycho patient looking everywhere and everytime all over my body thinking about acute HIV symptoms. Any response/assurance will really help me! Is this test on 8th day conclusive. Some say 11 days, 28 days. Now it has been 4 weeks till now after exposure. Doctor said pcr rna qualitative is 100% accurate compared to quantitative pcr rna or DNA test. Is this conclusive?
Thanks for looking into
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 21st, 2011
Hello and thank you for posting your medical question on E health Forum.

The PCR -DNA test is a very accurate test for detecting HIV INFECTION. It detects the presence of the HIV DNA, in the blood. Hence its accuracy is 100%.

The PCR-DNA test gives a positive result within 10-14 days after exposure. Hence it is used in detection of HIV in newborn babies at high risk, so that effective Anti retro viral therapy can be initiated ASAP.

If you think you have done the test very soon, and want to get a definitive diagnosis and relieve your anxiety, you might consider repeating the test again now, since its been about 4 weeks after exposure.

This will help you get over the past exposure and move on ahead in your life.

You might consider to consult your doctor for additional counselling.

I hope this helps.

|

replied March 9th, 2011
Experienced User
you don't have hiv according ur result.
|

replied June 25th, 2011
HIV FREAK ME OUT... NOW IM PARANOID
Hello Doc,

I have a question, how accurate quantitative testing for detecting presence of virus after 33 days from possible exposure. My test turned out non-reactive and they told me no further test need to be conducted.
|

replied June 25th, 2011
Experienced User
they told correct and you don't have hiv anymore. no future test i need. be calm. don't get another thought.
|

replied January 16th, 2013
Hi Doctor,
I had undergone western blot test test and is negative on 6month after the exposure. I have a lot of confusion over this test and got mixed opinions about the way it is done
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.