Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

HIV infection by sharing toothbrushes

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
User Profile
Hi doctor
A one month ago my brother used my teeth toothbrush then after 25 hours he used my teeth toothbrush ,I have reused that toothbrush. But I had washed that toothbrush by hand soap before used that toothbrush .so my questions
1, is have I probability to infect by hiv viruses if my brother is hiv positive?
2, I had washed that toothbrush by hand soap before I have used that toothbrush .so is that hand soap can remove hiv virus if he was bleeding when he used my toothbrush?
3, Can toothpaste that I have used kill hiv blood on a toothbrush?
I hope someone can help me!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 19th, 2010
HIV and AIDS Answer A14318
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know whether you might be at risk of being infected with HIV.

HIV (human immune deficiency virus) affects the T-helper cells causing weakening of the immune system. It is transmitted with direct contact of blood flow with bodily fluids such as blood, semen, pre-ejaculate, vaginal fluid and breast milk. If a toothbrush contains invisible traces of blood the virus can be passed by further usage. Hand soap usually removes the bacteria and the dirt mechanically. The toothpaste removes the remainings of the food on teeth and so mechanically removes the oral bacteria. Although certain viruses are killed with low or high temperatures or by application of soap, there is yet no information about whether it can survive outside a human's body unless there are blood particles or particles from the liquids that contain it.

According to the data that you described, you may or may not be at risk of being infected with HIV. The human body needs 2-12 weeks to develop antibodies against this virus. Since it has been 4 weeks from the suspicious event you may consider having a diagnostic test in a few days and after twelve weeks. You may also consider not sharing toothbrushes or razors with other individuals.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor for further advice and information about diagnosis of HIV.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.