Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

HIV infection after derma roller treatment

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
User Profile
Dear Sir/Madam,
I'm a 28 year old virginal woman from India. In June,last year, i went to my cosmetologist for a derma roller treatment for acne scars. After exactly a month, i had a high 104C fever with tonsillitis and headache which lasted 3-4 days.However, i didnt have any rash.

After the fever,i had lost 3-4kg weight,which i've seemed to regain back now.

For the last 7-8 months, i'm living in this constant fear that the derma roller that the doctor used wasnt sterilized properly and used on a previous patient,and if the person had HIV, it could've been transmitted to me? Afterall, it is an invasive procedure where the derma roller needles penetrate the skin.

My question is, if so was the case, is there a chance of an infection? If i remember correctly, there was a gap of 10-15 minutes between my treatment and the previous patient's treatment.

What are the chances of infection from derma roller needles that are not hollow like IV injections.

Please help me.Thanks.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 13th, 2010
HIV and AIDS Answer A9119
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You would like to know whether you may be infected with HIV after a derma roller treatment.

Human immune deficiency virus causes weakening of the immune system. This virus leads to a condition called AIDS which is characterized with opportunistic infections and certain kinds of cancers. The virus is transmitted by direct contact of individual's blood flow with bodily fluids like blood, pre-ejaculate, semen and breast milk. It is diagnosed with HIV diagnostic tests like enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA), Western blot, immunofluorescence assay (IFA) and PCR(polymerase chain reaction).

According to the data that you described, you may or may not have been infected with HIV after the derma roller treatment. You may consider having the diagnostic tests for HIV to rule out or to confirm the infection. The time distance from the suspicious event is more than six months, so the results may be considered to be accurate.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor for further advice and information about diagnosis of HIV infection.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.