Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

HIV from drug use straw ?

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
User Profile
I shared a straw for drug use Aug 28/09 and even since that night my health has deteriorated. I had major abdominal and lower back pain, followed by 20 pound weight loss, night sweats, fatigue, nausea. A couple months after that I was diagnosed with shingles. I tested negative for HIV and Hep C at 3 and 6 months. I did however continue to suffer physically, with abdominal pains and my urine seemed to get darker. My wife then was diagnosed with shingles as well as suffering from fatigue and muscle pain. Now the glands in my neck have become swollen, my stomach hurts all the time, I am positive I have HIV but have tested negative out to 32 weeks after the incident. My wife is now having problems with here sciatica as well. In Canada I can't get them to do a PCR RNA test as they say my antibody test is conclusive, I am sure that I am HIV positive but am a late sero-converter due to HEP C co infection. What can I do? I am positive that I have HIV but can't get any help, please help me.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 12th, 2010
HIV and AIDS Answer A11215
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the belief that you are HIV positive because of typical symptoms of acute HIV infection despite the test being negative at 6 months after exposure which you think is negative because you are a late seroconverter due to Hep C co-infection.
Few instances of late seroconversion because of HCV co-infection have been reported in health care workers in which the health-care workers tested negative for HIV antibodies greater than 6 months postexposure but were seropositive within 12 months after the exposure. But in your case the test for HCV is negative even at 6 months post exposure. The other possibility for delayed seroconversion can be antiretroviral therapy after exposure as the same can delay seroconversion. About 25% of those with HIV/AIDS also have an HCV co-infection, and their liver disease is likely to progress at an accelerated rate. You should consider alternative diagnosis with your physician for the physical symptoms that you are experiencing as the false negative test is very rare but still you can keep the option to be retested at 12 months as discussed above.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.