Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

hiv blood in bottled water ?

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
how long can blood from hiv survive in a bottled of water. will it be infectious.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 11th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
I don't know that there's been any kind of study into that. I know that anytime a non-waterborne virus is diluted it becomes weaker so it stands to reason HIV would have a lower viral load in water but as long as it remains inside of it's environmental conditions and can continue to find healthy bloodcels to infect it can remain alive indefinately.

I'm curious why you ask?
|

replied October 12th, 2009
To wolf I ask that question because my daughter drank from a person with aids and I was wondering if the person mouth was bleeding and blood got in the water and my daughter had custs in her mouth would she be infected.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Like I said the viral load of infected blood diluted with water would be low. If someone HIV positive drank from a glass the amount of the virus in the backwash with a minor cut would be so insignificant it would be difficult to measure, then that is further diluted into the rest of the water. If your daughter drank every drop left in the glass and licked the glass clean the exposure would be so insignificant that it would be almost impossible for her to contract the virus. More likely than not she had no contact with the virus. I think she's perfectly fine.
|

hiv blood in water
thanks wolf. all answers are coming up the same way I ask a doctors opinion and all say nothing to bother but i cant get my mind settled. I am feeling paranoid.
|

replied December 4th, 2012
hiv water in eyes
I got a hiv patients water splashed in my eyes and they had open sores possibly in their mouth was wondering if i am at risk?
|