Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

HIV and Oral hairy Leukoplakia

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
Docs,

I had a possible exposer to HIV on July28, 2008....

On October 24 I noticed 2 continuous white raised ridges running down both sides of my tongue...

I looked online and felt that it looks very similar to mild OHL...

I went and got tested on Oct. 25.... The results came back negative for HIV and all other STDs...

My question is:

How long does it usually take for OHL symptoms to arise after being infected with HIV? Is it at all possible to exhibit signs of OHL only 3 months or less after infection with HIV? If yes, then is it possible to exhibit signs of OHL and test negative for HIV and the same time, but still be HIV+?

My negative results give me confidence I am ok, but the fact that the ridges haven't went away leave me thinking I may still have HIV.

Thanks In Advance!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 2nd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Welcome to EHEALTH forum!
Remember, that all symptoms are highly unreliable indicators of HIV, and tests are far more reliable.
OHL can occur relatively early in the course of HIV infection as one of the first symptoms a person may have.
However, it can also be seen in HIV-negative individuals (low immune system), though somewhat unlikely.

What kind of HIV test you were performed?
Have you tried to scrapped off the white lines?
Can they be easily removed?
|

replied December 2nd, 2008
I don not know the test... I am assuming it was the standard ELISA test...

The lines don't easily scrape off... they do seem to become less raised and fade throughout the day though... always back when I wake up usually...

When you say "can occur relatively early" what do you mean?

I know OHL is a symptom for other illnesses also, but it is strongly associated with HIV... I guess for my own peace of mind untill I can go to the dentist I am looking for any doctor on here who knows the answers to these questions:

How long does it usually take for OHL symptoms to arise after being infected with HIV? Is it at all possible to exhibit signs of OHL only 3 months or less after infection with HIV? If yes, then is it possible to exhibit signs of OHL and test negative for HIV and the same time, but still be HIV+?
|

replied December 3rd, 2008
Sounds like you chew on the side of your tongue like I do. I get them all the time Very Happy
|

User Profile
replied December 4th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Maybe this will help:

Oral hairy leukoplakia (OHL) refers to a white patch – or white patches – that can develop in the mouth. These patches usually occur along the sides of the tongue, although they can sometimes develop on the top and underside of the tongue or along the inside of the cheek. Looking carefully at these patches, they may appear shaggy or may contain a number of tiny folds or ridges.

OHL can look like thrush, another common problem characterized by white patches that can develop in the mouths of HIV-positive people. However, thrush usually comes off when it is lightly scraped with a toothbrush, whereas OHL does not.

OHL is often one of the first opportunistic infections to occur in HIV-positive people. It can occur at any T-cell count. HIV-positive people with more than 500 T-cells have developed OHL, but it is most common among HIV-positive people with fewer than 200 T-cells. It is also important to note that OHL can occur in people with healthy immune systems, including those not infected with HIV.

It is considered to be a benign disease, meaning that it rarely causes serious physical problems and does not progress to more serious complications.

OHL is caused by the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV). Most people in the world are infected with EBV. Only in some people, including those with compromised immune systems, does it cause disease.

More than 25% of HIV-positive people develop OHL at some point during the course of their infection. It is most common among HIV-positive men and smokers.

How is it diagnosed?

Very often, a health-care professional can diagnose OHL simply by looking at the white patch. If there is confusion as to whether the white patch is OHL or thrush (candidiasis), a simple scrape test can be performed. Using a tongue depressor or a toothbrush, the patch can be lightly scraped. If it appears to come off with scraping, the white patch is probably thrush and not OHL.

To be sure that the white patch is OHL, a health-care provider can send a sample of the patch to a lab for analysis. The lab will look for the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) to confirm a diagnosis of OHL.

~Zig
|

User Profile
replied December 11th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
InTheHouse!
Do the white ridges surround smooth, beefy red patches and lesions on your tongue?
Do you get these white lesions like prints due to teeth pressure during sleep (you have said that these lesions are more prominent in mornings after sleep)?
|

replied December 12th, 2008
Yes, they do seem to line up with my teeth when I push my tounge between my teeth..... and they are more prominent in the morning... I also have lines in both of my cheeks that are white... I have come to the conclusion that these ridges are from sucking my tongue between my teeth b/c its like one continous line all the way around my tongue and there are no fuzzy patches that dont line up with my teeth... Plus it could be impossible for OHL to show up only 2-3 months after a HIV infection so it cant be OHL due to HIV and ive tested negative at 3 months ... which i have been told is a definitive negative b/c it is outside window period...
|

replied March 3rd, 2009
how r u now
|

replied January 8th, 2013
fne
|

replied January 2nd, 2010
can hiv be transmitted if the condom didnt break?
|

User Profile
replied January 2nd, 2010
Community Volunteer
not if the condom was used properly. and had no holes.
|

replied January 4th, 2010
how would u know if the condom had holes? would semen leak out as if it was broken..?
|

replied January 8th, 2013
is this the early sign of hiv
hi, doctor,,

my self maddy, i am from india,,,, and wud like to ask u abut hiv,
doc ,,, i had a sex with one gay that was anal , i used condom ,,, but when i observed ,,, condom was not their,,,, so i hav a doubt that may be i be in direct contact with that gay,,

after few week of this incident i observed i have whit few patchs bettween lower chick and last teeths,,,,,,, these patches are painless ,,,,,,,, than after 26 days of this exposser,,, i took PROVIRAL DNA pcr ,,, it was negative,,,,,,,,

doc one thing i wan to tell you ,,,, i was smoking from past 4 years ,,, not a chain smoker but 3 cigret of the day,,,, but i quit smoking from past six months

doc pl plz plz help me out from this ? i will be thankful to you form my rest of the life
my question is

1 is this the early sign of hiv
2 plz tell me is this proviral DNA PCR is relaibel

thanks
with regard
maddy
|

replied July 15th, 2013
the answers being provided hear are realy helpful.
i wil want some one to help me with this.

doctor, about 2years ago,i had some setious symptoms including headache, burning sensation in my body, mouth ulcers etc.
i did some tests incuding biopsy and lumber puncture.
the doctor then said he found out to be a possible early multiple sclerosis but can not confirm because all the possible test have been done but he is unable to find the cause.
i felt better after some time without any medication.

on july 8th,i had sex with a lady,used a condom but did not ejaculate and stopped.her saliver touched my skin.after the encounter,i took a shower ,ate and slept. around 6pm of the same day,i bought fried chicken and ate whilst atwork.
around 1:30 am of july 9th, i started having severe headache,feverish,burning sensation in my body and joint weakness.
on july 10th,i started having a mild sore throat,bumps or a bit swollen left side of my tongue,white patches on the tongue.on july12th, i went to my doctor and narated what happen between me and the lady.he examined my mouth and prescribed amoxicillin and ibuprofen.i have been taking it one twice daily.from the time i started the medication to date, the problem on my left side of my tongue have extended to my righ side also.what i dont know is if this is a hairy leukoplakia.if it is,would it mean that i may possibly be infected with hiv?
please help me with some answers . thank you
|