Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Hitting partner while asleep

Hi,

I'm a 25 year old male who hits my partner while i'm asleep, it is getting very bad now as it's nearly breaking up our 4 and 1/2 relationship up. I don't even know that i'm doing it. How can i stop this from happening and is this a common sleep disorder.

Chris
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 15th, 2009
I was just told by my husband that I hit him while I sleep. It is getting to be more frequent. I am concerned and don't know where to turn. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!
Terri
|

replied April 15th, 2009
make a new thread and dont hijack mine
|

replied May 7th, 2009
Chris,
I was doing the same thing - I found out it was because of a medication I was taking for depression. If you are on any meds for anything, check them out for side effects - I searched on the internet & found the problem, then talked to my Doctor. He switched the med immediately.
|

replied July 31st, 2009
alicet53,

i have recently started hitting my husband in his sleep as well. I am also on antidepressants. I have looked them up and can't find anything saying that is a side effect. if it is not too much to ask what kind of medicine are you taking to make you do that so i can change mine?
|

replied October 31st, 2009
ive just started taking tablets for depression and now i find iam always fighting in my dreams dreams which ends up with me hitting my girlfriend while iam asleep. i hate sleeping now. help me someone
|

replied July 5th, 2011
I hit my wife in my sleep all the time and it's not because I'm dreaming. I am not currently taking any antidepressants - maybe I should be????
|

replied May 10th, 2012
I am also on Anti depressant and have just started the very same thing 3 nights ago... 3 nights in a row and i was starting to worry, after reading a few similar story's its eased my worry a little... cheers guys
|

replied June 26th, 2012
Sleeping-disorders.
Sleep-disorders are very complex things. Medication is NOT necessarily the solution!! Stress, suppressed thoughts and desires (both acute and long term) and maybe something as simple as sleeping-positions may affect the way you behave in your sleep. Try every way of changing the way you sleep and think before considering medication. There may be a very simple solution to the problem. I myself have experienced many forms of sleeping disorders (paralysis, violent movements and hallucinations), but with the help from experts I have overcome them and realized they are caused by things in my life and not just by them selves.
|