Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Hip popping and can't cross legs

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
This is actually a really embarrassing problem for me and I would appreciate constructive comments. All my life I have never remembered being able to cross my legs fully (I'm 26). Now I'm 5'3" and 140lbs. While I am overweight now, I used to be much thinner and still couldn't cross my legs. One possibility could be that my thighs are too fat, but I've seen people who are heavier than me being able to cross their legs. I am now thinking that there must be something wrong with my hips. When I squat down with my legs together, I can't straighten back up with out my hip joints sort of "popping" out and "popping" back in again. This is associated with a little discomfort and no pain. Normally I also have no pain in my hips. In the past I have occasionally had knee pain, but nothing horrible enough to have to take even OTC meds for. I do feel like my legs are slightly valgus or the opposite of "bow-legged". I have also always had problems with flexibility. Currently I'm thinking I have a very tight iliotibial band and am working on stretches to lengthen that, but from what I've been able to gather, my symptoms don't quite fit tight iliotibial band. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|
Users who thank neko88 for this post: ineedhelp2bflexible 

User Profile
replied April 30th, 2010
Community Volunteer
They say a lot of the pain comes from your back...In a case like this I don't know, but I do know that many people cannot cross their legs...As far as your hips popping in and out, if it was me I would stay away from doing anything that would cause this...If it was me I would make an appointment with a Physical Therapist and see what they say about this and exercises to help you...However, this would be after I had seen an Orthopedist....Take care...

Caroline
|

replied November 2nd, 2010
Thank god
Im crying right now! i have never even herd of anyone with this same problem. I have always been flexible and active but in 3rd grade when this started i couldnt do anything! In middle school i was always so jealous of cheerleaders, surprisingly not because they were popular but because they were flexible. I have now been depressed since i was in elementary school and still want to be flexible. One thing i do remember is sitting a different way then criss-cross like our teachers told us to. I actually sat with both my legs in a M looking shape from my view. I remember a teacher telling me not to sit like that but i have always been a rebel and kept doing it. Now i regret it. I used to love soccer but now im afraid that if i do start a sport i will be denied because of my inflexibility. Please Help! It has ruined my whole life.
|

replied November 4th, 2010
I'm almost 30. I have the same problem. I remember sitting at parade at primary school not being able to cross my legs. I always sat with my legs crossed at the ankles while my arms were warped around my knees. I'm not over weight and never have been. So I'm guessing that is not the problem. Still to this day I'm unable to cross my legs fully. Currently I'm just doing some stretchers. But I don't think that is getting anywhere Sad
|