Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Hip pain when sitting (Page 1)

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
Hi,

For about 6 months I have had pain in my left hip. It has not been too severe but is annoying to the point where I can not concentrate in lecture, exams, and has been very uncomfortable driving. It typically is relieved upon standing. It happens in about 30 minutes of being seated and sometimes while sleeping on my side. I am 22 year old female with no history of injury and have not been very active with sports. I am not overweight and I have tried stretching and see no improvement. I have taken over the counter pain medications and have found no relief. I know I probably should see a doctor (Orthopedic) but wanted to get an opinion while I wait for an appointment. Thanks for your help!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Cheley47
|

replied April 3rd, 2009
mbdib-Hip Pain
If it doesn't go away and continues to get worse even after stretching, icing, and OTC pain meds, see a Rheumotologist. It could be Bursitis. Mine started out like yours, but with activities it became worse (without proper stretching). I have severe Bursitis in both hips and shoulders and had cortisone shots in the Bursa of each of those joints. Not fun. Now I have to do exercises everyday for the rest of my life because of it. It started last August when I installed new kitchen flooring. I used to walk a 4 mile loop up around my house a few times a week, and spent several hours a week bent over and kneeling in my flower beds. In October my husband and family cut, hauled , and stacked 3 cord of wood. January 1st I could barely walk or move my arms, I think the Drs. thought I was nuts because I was in so much pain, I don't think they believed me. Well I changed Drs. 2 times and then was sent to a Rheumotolgist, it is severe Bursitis and Tendonitis, then came the Corti shots, instant pain relief but will have to keep stretching and exercising for ever. I still can't sleep on my sides. Sometimes being idle to long in between activities will cause this. Hope it helps and sorry my story is so long.(Oh yeah if I am not completely healed in 2 more months, I will have to have the shots all over again, and damn did it hurt, they had to go deep into the bursa). Don't mean to scare you but this may be a possibility.
|
Users who thank Cheley47 for this post: Sunshyn1022 

replied July 23rd, 2012
It sounds like you have fluoroquinolone toxicity, which likes to attack the hips and so many other joint areas. There is no cure for this horrible toxicity, only time will tell how well you heal. Fluoroquinolones are Cipro, Avelox and Levaquin. If you were to go back and check the prescriptions you were given, you would probably notice a connection between the two. The unfortunate thing about this toxicity is the delay in the onset of symptoms. You can rupture tendons 18 months following a fluoroquinolone ingestion. It destroys tendons, ligaments, cartliage and collegan. But this muscular damage is just the tip of the iceberg. Check it out on-line and see for yourself. Try not to get discouraged. Thousands if not millions of us have been "floxed"
|

replied June 21st, 2009
I am a 44 year old female and I have the same hip problem as you do. It affects my left hip and after sitting for 30 minutes, I need to stand up for awhile. I never experienced an injury to cause it and I have had it now since I was 31 years old. I have seen every doctor imaginable and no one can appropriately diagnose and treat the symptoms ie, burning, aching pain. I wish I had an answer for you, but I thought you'd at least like to know you are not alone regarding this problem. Lori
|

replied June 22nd, 2009
Community Volunteer
Add me to this list...I was told it was some kind of a sciatic nerve problem....Comes and goes....
|

replied July 16th, 2009
hip pain while sitting
I am a physical therapist and have seen 2 orthopedist for the same problem. Interesting sitting is what causes my pain also. I workout and leg press several hundred pounds with no pain but sitting especially while driving is very painful. I am going to try a lumbar support.
|

replied July 29th, 2009
hip pain
I have a similar problem 44 y/o active female. Had left hip pain just prior to and during pregnancy with 2nd child at age 34. Had with each following pregnancy and on and off between pregnancy around time of my period. Have had now for 2 months dull ache, hurts more on use and sitting but always present. Motrin helps.
|

replied July 31st, 2009
It could be tight hit flexors, bursitis, labral tear or something called femoroacetabular impingement (FAI).

Get it checked out!
|

replied August 5th, 2009
It sounds stupid but have you tried a cushion! My hip pain returned after starting driving (6week break). A pillow on the driving seat helped considerably so I am looking into some of the more respectable aids - a back friend or a wedge I think.
|

replied March 27th, 2011
It took me 3 years to figure out what you just said - a cushion works! All along, I've thought it was the exercise that was causing the pain. I ran 9 miles yesterday and felt fabulous all day. However, when I sit for more than 30 min, the pain returns. A friend of mine gave me a blow-up donut-shaped cushion and I've been using that when I sit. Now I want to go find more of them (she got it from a medical supplier) so I can have one at work and home.
|

replied March 27th, 2011
It took me 3 years to figure out what you just said - a cushion works! All along, I've thought it was the exercise that was causing the pain. I ran 9 miles yesterday and felt fabulous all day. However, when I sit for more than 30 min, the pain returns. A friend of mine gave me a blow-up donut-shaped cushion and I've been using that when I sit. Now I want to go find more of them (she got it from a medical supplier) so I can have one at work and home.
|

replied August 15th, 2009
hip pain while sitting
I am 46 and I have been going through this for about 2 years, but became unmanagable over this past memorial day, I had never seen a doctor till then. I was diag. with bursitis and Im on my 3rd series of cort. injections and will be starting physical therapy next week for a full mth to try to figure out the best course of action. My pain gets so severe that even short distance driving or riding in the car puts me down for the rest of the day, i agree that the doctors dont understand how bad the pain gets, but I am lucky cause I have a great Rhuematologist who at least listens and is sympathetic. This is a real frustrating experience because it is so debilitating, ice packs really help.
|

User Profile
replied August 15th, 2009
Experienced User
Try seeing a chiropractor. You may have a pinched nerve. Sitting usually irritates it. Try getting some adjustments done. It will normally take a few adjustments before you notice an improvement. If it is a pinched nerve, the longer you wait, the longer it will take for you to feel better so don't wait until the pain starts running down your legs and into your foot.

Good luck!
|

replied August 25th, 2009
hi... and ouch...i would go to a dr. it could be bursitis, it could be fibromyalgia.
i had a hip replacement in december 08. i was 58 years old. after having one, you have to sit on a pillow whenyou're in a car or sitting on a chair.. your knees have to be lower than your hip... i would try that and see if it helps you.. put the back of seat in a little recline and sit on a pillow, hope it helps.different chairs make the position of your hips change . i found that i can no longer sit in a beach chair...(aw). the recline just kills..
all these comments are only suggestions.. really.. see a dr.. good luck
|

replied February 1st, 2010
HIp pain
This is amazing to me. I have read all of these stories and they describe me to a T. I have had this problem for over 2 years. I have done rehad twice, an MRI, two x-rays and the Dr.'s still look at me like I am crazy. The cortizone injection was not so painful but the result was crippling. I couldn't walk the next day and my pain has been constant ever since. I ran 3 to 4 tmes a week for twenty-five minutes without pain. I can't sit to read the newspaper for more than a half hour. I have found no relief. I am going to try acupuncture next. There must be something to relieve the pain and allow me to sleep through a night. I found that straight legs is the only answer there. Good luck to all and please post any relief you my find.
Keli
|

replied March 17th, 2012
So how are you now , still going through the same thing ?I'm having the same type of problem
|

replied February 1st, 2010
Kelilynch (Hip Pain) , Hi I just wanted to let you know that I am headed on my second year of this. My Doctor said it would probably take up to 2 years to heal. Since last May, I have been on Tramadol, Tylenol, and Meloxicam. I am still doing the stretching exercises from over a year ago, sometimes they help and sometimes they don't. But I am a little more mobile then I used to be. I have cut my Meds. down to half and am using a numbing ointment now to. If it doesn't heal within this year, I am just going to have to face it that I may have Fibromyalgia. My Dr. never came out and told me that I had it, but I wonder now because it has been so long. Don't be discouraged and hang in there, there are alot of ways to do pain management. From my above post I still can't sleep on my sides and I put a pillow under my legs which helps and I have started walking again, just not as fast and long as I used to, I keep my hopes up that I will have my whole life back soon. Please do try the Acupuncture, I am going to do that to, my insurance doesn't cover it so I am saving up for it. Good luck to you and let me know how it goes and how you are doing, or just want to chat. Cheley47
|

replied February 2nd, 2010
Hip pain
Cheley,
Thanks for the response. I will let you know how the acpuncture goes.
Good luck to you too.
Keli
|

replied February 3rd, 2010
More Symptoms?
I am so happy to have found this thread! I also have severe hip pain that comes on when I'm sitting. Do any of you find that it gets worse when you drink alcohol or caffine or better when you drink water or other hydrating drinks? Do any of you find it bothers your blatter?
|

replied February 12th, 2010
I have the same symptoms as you all do. I am 51, male and have worked from home since 2001. I'm pretty sure my pain is from sitting in bad chairs, not enough activity. In the last 5-6 months driving is painful, even short drives. I am a bit of an idiot and have not seen a Dr. yet
|

replied March 1st, 2010
hip pain
I have a really bad back. I am a nurse and have been on my feet for years. Then all of the sudden my right hip started hurting. But its when I go from sitting to standing. Well it hurts when I am sitting. There is a certain way I move my leg and its a horrible pain. When I went to the Dr. he had me lay flat and picked my leg up about 4 inches and told me to hold it. I could do it with the unaffected leg but the one that hurts I can't hold it up at all. It's a pain in my groin that is much different from the sciatic pain my spondylothesis causes. Darvocett and ibuprofen help but I have to take both of them every 4 hours.
|

replied March 1st, 2010
Shirlannrn, I to also had groin pain, it takes a very long time to heal, so far a year and a half. My Dr. told me up to 2 years or more. I don't have the groin pain anymore, but it took that long to stop hurting. Cheley
|

replied March 1st, 2010
Shirlannrn, I to also had groin pain, it takes a very long time to heal, so far a year and a half. My Dr. told me up to 2 years or more. I don't have the groin pain anymore, but it took that long to stop hurting. Cheley
|

replied March 2nd, 2010
Left Hip Pain
Hi, 47 y/o very active male. Same issues with left hip pain while driving/sitting and wakes me up several times at night( and I am a sound sleeper ) Went to my Ortho doc and was diagnosed with moderate to severe Osteoarthritis.
On Indocin for a month then Daypro...until pain too much then hip replacement. Hopefully I can get a few years before surgery!
|
Quick Reply