Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Hip pain when i sit

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
I have hip pain in my left hip immediately after sitting down on a chair where i have to sit upright. If i'm sitting on a couch where I can slouch a little it doesn't really hurt. And also if i'm sitting in a chair and put my legs up, the pain is relieved, but not gone. It's been going on for a few days now, and if i get up, my hip hurts even worse and it's hard for me to walk. It's more in the way upper thigh,inner thigh, hip, and pelvic area. I haven't tried any medication for it, as it goes away after walking it off. Can someone tell me what might be going on or how to get rid of it?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 3rd, 2011
Especially eHealthy
proudmom61289,

From the area you describe, it sounds like it could be the adductor muscles, the iliopsoas muscle, and the hip flexors origins. There are several bursae in this area. So, you may have a tendonitis or bursitis, in one or more structures in that area. When you get into certain positions, it relieves the tension or pressure.

It is also quite common for a patient to complain of pain after resting, in inflammatory disorders.

So, you can try some antiinflammatory medicines (if you can take them). You will need to take them on a regular schedule, rather than just as needed, to actually treat the inflammation (rather than just masking pain).

Some patients prefer ice pack when the pain is sharp or intense. Others, like to use moist heat, as it is more soothing. Hot tub, hot bath, moist heating pad often relieve some of the discomfort.

Gentle stretching or yoga keeps the muscles/tendons for becoming contracted.

If the pain becomes intense to the point that you have difficulty walking, using a cane in the opposite hand will unload the hip by about 50%. So, it is often very useful.

If your symptoms do not get better with the above home treatments, then you will probably need to see an orthopedic surgeon for a good hip exam. You could have something more severe like degenerative changes in the true hip joint or a labral tear.

If you go to a GP, he/she will have you do the above suggestions (even though you have already done that), then refer you to an orthopedic surgeon. So, you may just want to start with the orthopedist.

Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?