Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Arthritis Forum

Hip bursitis ?

Must Read
Arthritis is the most common cause of disability in the United States. Learn more about types of arthritis here....
Do you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around? You might have arthritis. Learn more about arthritis signs and symptoms here....
Signs and symptoms of rheumatic diseases are common to many different diseases. Diagnose arthritis correctly using these step-by-step diagnosis instructions....
User Profile
I have been haveing back/hip pain for several months. My family dr and ortho dr have been treating me for hip bursitis. I have had steriod injections along with nsaids and muscle relaxers. I still have stiffness in my lower lumbar area with pain to my tailbone. If feels like i have been kicked in my tailbone all the time. There are times when i feel like someone is pricking my with needles all across my lower lumbar are from one side to the other. I have had a mri and the dr's keep saying there is nothing there. My ortho dr said i have a small amount of arthritis on my spine but nothing to worry about. The pain to my hips is better but i cant get the tailbone/back pain to ease. Is this part of the heeling of bursitis or what? Not sure where to go from here!!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 27th, 2010
Arthritis Answer A12509
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned that after having been treated for hip bursitis for several months, the pain in the hips has decreased but the pain in the tailbone and lower back with pricking sensations all across the lower lumbar area are still persisting.
You might be having the pain because of coccydynia which is inflammation of the bony area (tailbone or coccyx) located between the buttocks. This pain usually worsens on sitting.
Coccydynia is commonly diagnosed based solely on the symptoms and the examination findings of local tenderness. Other conditions can be excluded by the examination (such as shingles, which typically would be associated with local rash) and other testing (to exclude bone or tissue disorders, such as with CAT scan or MRI scan).
The other possibility for your symptoms is due to inflammation of ischial bursa(hip bursitis) The ischial bursa is located in the upper buttock area. Ischial bursitis can cause dull pain in this area that is most noticeable when climbing uphill. The pain sometimes occurs after prolonged sitting on hard surfaces, hence the names "weaver's bottom" and "tailor's bottom." You might benefit by weight reduction, stretching exercises, and wearing proper footwear for exercise activities. Sometimes physical-therapy programs can be helpful. You should avoid hills and stairs and direct pressure on the affected hip (sleep on the other side), when possible, while symptoms are present.
You can discuss above options with your doctor as the definitive diagnosis cannot be made online.
Hope this helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Arthritis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.