Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Hip and Groin Pain

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
I'm a 27 yr old female. In March of this year I started experiencing groin pain with weight bearing. I then started having hip pain on the same leg. It doesn't hurt when I'm sitting unless I move my leg a certain way. Most of the pain is felt when I am walking. It's almost like a sharp stabbing pain when I walk. Usually the first few steps I take after sitting for a while are the most painful. After I walk around a bit, the pain lessens some but doesn't completely go away. I walk with a limp now. The first time I went to the dr, was told it was tendinitis and put on anti inflammatory meds. Those didn't help. Went back and was told it was hip bursitis. Was given more anti inflammatory meds and a cortisone shot. The shot did help some but only for about 2 days. Third time I went back to the dr, they did an x-ray of my hip and it didn't show anything such as a cracked bone. I'm at my wits end with this. It has been bothering me for 6 mos. Does anyone know what this could be? Thanks in advance for any help!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper jennys2305
|

replied September 29th, 2009
Hip/ Groin pain
I'm having the same symptons. Have you had any further explanation for this? If so, could you please pass it to me. Thank you
Shelley
|

replied December 19th, 2011
I am experiencing the same symtoms & it's driving me to distraction as I love walking & at present can't do it so any info would be good
thanks
|

replied October 5th, 2009
Try physical therapy. I would advise a therapist that, in addition to the correct therapeutic healing exercises, uses manual techniques to address joint dysfunction & tendon healing. Good luck!
|

replied October 9th, 2009
Jenn & Shelly.
In July 2008 I had back,hip and groin pain , my family Dr. told me I had a sacro-iliac joint sprain ?? After months of physiotherapy and a coulpe of x-rays and a bone scan, I could not lift my right foot more then 4" off the floor Jan 09. I had a total hip replacement on the right side (April 09) and had my left done on Aug 09. All my pain is gone. Have some x-rays or a bone scane or eveen a M.R.I if you are in the states and have the insurance for it get all of them done (I Am A Canadian).Ask your Doctor about avascular necrosis that is what I had.I am not trying to scare you's and I am speaking from expereance..you will feel better if you do need a total hip replacement (T.H.R.) Good luck
Cement Smile
|

User Profile
replied December 20th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
choirgirl,

You need to be seen be an orthopedic surgeon well versed in hip disorders. Arthritis of the hip has been well known about for years as has AVN of the femoral ahead. There are also several childhood hip disorders, such as, DDH and perthese, but usually these kids know that they are going to have life long problems.

However, there is a set of adult patients that, until now, did really fit anywhere. In the past 10 years or so, problems with femoralacetabular impingement (FAI) came to light. And with FAI, many patients also have labral tears in the hip. The labrum is a cartilage ring around the outside rim of the acetabulum.

So, if your regular doctor's cannot figure out what is going on, you should see an orthopedic surgeon who knows alot about the hip joint.

Good luck.
|