Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Hip and groin pain after sitting

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
User Profile
30 year old male. I have pain in the front of my hip/pelvis area closer to the groin area. Most noticeable after sitting. Walking improves it, but never goes away. It is a sharp pain that causes me to lean forward until it loosens. The joint feels tight, almost like there is something being stretched across the affected area. Leaning backward while standing stretches the area and provides some relief. No pain while sitting, but can feel the tightness.

I had gastric bypass in February and have lost over 80 lbs since surgery. I am 214 lbs @ 5'8", down from 330 lbs in 2007. Could the weight loss be causing posture problems?

Chris
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper raden
|

User Profile
replied July 21st, 2010
Also, while sitting if my squeeze my legs inward I can feel the pain in the joint. Do you know the two large tendons/ligaments/muscles (not sure what they are) that run from the inside of your groin area into your legs? It seems like the pain is under those. Pressing on them does not hurt. You can most notice these tendons whenever you spread your legs.
|

User Profile
replied July 21st, 2010
Found this image: http://www.eorthopod.com/sites/default/fil es/images/hip_anatomy_nerves01.jpg

The sciatic nerve runs down exactly where I am having my pain. More speculation, but could it be back troubles? I do have some lower back pain and have been to a chiropractor about middle back pain at which point he adjusted my lower back as well after complaining of the hip/groin pain.
|

User Profile
replied July 23rd, 2010
Well I guess no one reads these forums.
|

replied September 8th, 2010
okay, I just left a long message and it got deleted when I went to post it....so I will make this one brief. I had a similar problem - pain in my right groin especially after sitting - took 12 years to diagnose so hopefully you will have better luck. I saw a podiatrist, chiropractor, osteopath, orthopedic surgeon and all of them told me I had a "groin strain". After 12 years of this I decided to get an MRI myself and took the results to a highly recommended surgeon...then got a second opinion. Both Dr.s agree that I have congential hip dysplasia (shallow hip sockets) which have caused the cartiledge to wear out prematurely, labral tear and bone cysts. I need a hip replacement.
I would suggest you get an MRI which will show any damage and an xray to show your joint mechanics. Impingement is when a tear in the labrum gets caught in the joint during particular movement - it can cause the pain you describe. In fact, when I told the surgeon that it hurts after sitting he said this is commonly referred to as "start up pain".
I have had herniated discs and sciatica but the pain I am having is like someone is jabbing an icepick in my groin....unexpectedly.
I just joined this post today and would like to know how things turn out for you.
|
Users who thank raden for this post: cltdba 

replied October 5th, 2010
my groin was ripped to bits after being hung out the back of, it requered surgery and 6 years on i am still walking about like a rotton ork to this day,getting my groin ripped to bits was the best day of my life when i sit down i have been known to black out due to the pain.
|

User Profile
replied December 1st, 2010
raden wrote:
okay, I just left a long message and it got deleted when I went to post it....so I will make this one brief. I had a similar problem - pain in my right groin especially after sitting - took 12 years to diagnose so hopefully you will have better luck. I saw a podiatrist, chiropractor, osteopath, orthopedic surgeon and all of them told me I had a "groin strain". After 12 years of this I decided to get an MRI myself and took the results to a highly recommended surgeon...then got a second opinion. Both Dr.s agree that I have congential hip dysplasia (shallow hip sockets) which have caused the cartiledge to wear out prematurely, labral tear and bone cysts. I need a hip replacement.
I would suggest you get an MRI which will show any damage and an xray to show your joint mechanics. Impingement is when a tear in the labrum gets caught in the joint during particular movement - it can cause the pain you describe. In fact, when I told the surgeon that it hurts after sitting he said this is commonly referred to as "start up pain".
I have had herniated discs and sciatica but the pain I am having is like someone is jabbing an icepick in my groin....unexpectedly.
I just joined this post today and would like to know how things turn out for you.

I'm still having the pain. I did go to a sports medicine doctor who told me the problem is a sports hernia. I was given a cortisol shot and sent for physical therapy. The pains lessened after the shot, but returned two weeks later. He told me if the pain didn't subside then I would need to have surgery to repair the hernias. I haven't gone back to the doctor yet, but I'll schedule an appointment and mention the things you said. I certainly won't undergo surgery until I'm absolutely sure what the problem is. Thanks for the info!
|

replied November 26th, 2012
Ive got the same problem. When I get out of my car after driving for a while I get sharp pain in the same area. I limp for a while then the pain goes away. Its on the crease line between my hip and groin....slightly more towards my groin. Its starting to annoy me....Yeah , would like to know how to fix it.
|

User Profile
replied November 26th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
justin1974,

Unfortunately, there are many things that can cause discomfort in the groin region (DJD, tendonitis, bursitis, labral tear, nonorthopedic conditions, etc). You would first have to figure out what is causing it.

If you have tried the usual stretching and antiinflammatory medicines, and they have not helped, then you will probably have to see a physician for an evaluation. It will take a thorough examination and maybe some imaging studies (MRI, CT, bone scan, etc) to figure out what is going on.

Good luck.
|

replied December 5th, 2012
stabbing pain in hip/groin area
I am having the same stabbing pain in the groin area. I am a fitness instructor and so do repetitive movements. The movements that irritate the area the most are marching and just sitting for longer periods, etc. Nothing crazy. Going from sitting to standing is the most difficult. I also work out on a regular basis and keep my muscles toned. I too have had lower back issues for years but have not had an MRI. I suspect the groin pain has to do with the L5 and sacrum area (possible injury from years back)and it is causing tightness and pinching there. I am going to finally see a doc to see what's up. Any comments?
|

User Profile
replied December 5th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
kmm61,

If your pain is deep, over the true hip joint, then it is most likely coming from some disorder around the joint itself: labral tear, articular cartilage degeneration, or a problem with the tendons or bursae that overlie the anterior hip joint.

Stiffness/soreness after a period of rest (sleeping, sitting for a while, etc) is usually a hallmark of an inflammatory process of some type going on: tendonitis, bursitis, arthritis, etc.

A problem with the L5 nerve root would actually cause symptoms in the leg and foot. The inguinal area, wrapping aroung and down to the medial thigh would be from the upper lumbar nerve roots (L1-L3). The genital region is innervated by the lower sacral nerves.

Since this is bothering you, and you are in a profession where you need to be active, you should see an orthopedic surgeon for an evaluation. The history, symptoms, and exam will guide the surgeon as to whether of not any studies will be needed (and which ones).

Lab test for inflammatory markers such as CBC w/diff, ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), and CRP (C reactive protein) will tell if there is a significant inflammatory condition going on.

X-rays can tell the congruity of the hip joint, decrease in articular cartilage, and if FAI (femoralacetabular impingement) exists.

CT scan looks at the bony architecture the best.

MRI is for the soft tissues, such of the labrum around the outside of the actebulum. Sometimes, an arthrogram has to be done, which includes injecting contrast (Gadolinium) into the joint so that labral tears can be indentified better.

But, what tests/studies are ordered will be up to the surgeon.

Good luck.
|

replied March 21st, 2014
I have pain in my lower back on the right side and also at the top of my goin, plus sharp pain at the right of my hip .. when i im sitting it feels like the pain is in my stomach. i had an mri scan and the result was ok Sad wot can i do ? had this for 5 months now.
|
Tags: weight, loss
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
Dr. Sofce Mitkovska
User Profile
Dr. Ana Aleksovska
User Profile
Dr. Ana Aleksovska
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur