Medical Questions > Cancer > Leukemia Forum

High WBC count but no other symptoms - CML or infection?

Must Read
Click here for basic info on leukemia, including diagnostic types and how doctors classify this disease of blood forming tissues....
Is leukemia inherited? Read here for more info on what causes leukemia and what environment risk factors or triggers you might avoid....
Leukemia can affect many parts of the body, including the organs of the cardiovascular and digestive systems. But what are the major symptoms of leukemia?...
Good morning,

I have a personal problem with a good friend and I was hoping that you could answer some questions for me.

My friend had a case of diarrhea 2 weeks ago from eating days old ham. She then went to see her GP, who had her do several tests including blood tests. In those blood tests her WBC count came up above normal. Two more blood tests followed, both with higher WBC count than previous ones. In all the three counts were - 18.8, 19.2, and 24. Her doctor noted that her lymphocytes were normal in all three cases, but her neutrophils were high.

Her doctor now has her going to various places after scaring her that (and I quote the doc) "this be painting a picture of CML (chronic myelogenous leukemia)."

Now, I have visited quite a few medical forums and medical websites and I got conflicting information on CML. Many people said they have been diagnosed with CML with a low WBC count, whereas many official definitions state having a high WBC count as one of CML's symptoms. These people also have had chills, sweats, tiredness and aches that my friend has not had.

I have known her for a very long time and I hate to see her swinging between scared and sad, not knowing what could be wrong with her. Could you please point me in the right direction here? Is this CML? What is the definitive diagnosis of CML (other than the Philadelphia chromosome)?

I am worried sick seeing my friend in this situation.

Please help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 3rd, 2010
Her high WBC could be due to infection. However, CML also typically presents with a very high WBC (and often much higher than your friend's WBC).

The definitive diagnosis of CML would require a bone marrow biopsy to be performed. A Hematologist/Oncologist should see her if an infectious source for her high WBC cannot be identified.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied August 5th, 2010
Ok. So another blood test yesterday revealed the WBC count at 26. Is it levelling off? My question is, after an infection, does the WBC count peak later and drop off? Or does it immediately drop off?
|

replied August 5th, 2010
Will someone please reply?
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Leukemia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.