Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cholesterol Forum

High Cholesterol

Must Read
Do you know the difference between good and bad cholesterol? When does cholesterol pose a threat to your health? More info here....
High levels of bad cholesterol in the blood can increase your risk of heart disease. So how do you know if you're experiencing high cholesterol, or not? ...
Who should request cholesterol testing? And how often? Learn how to check your cholesterol levels and what the optimum cholesterol levels are....
High Cholesterol Problem,
I have high Cholesterol 6.2 reading on 29th Jan 2011, every time I have my blood checked, it just keeps creeping up. I have been eating healthy for the past 6 years and exercising. My GP wanted me to go on Statins, however I wanted to get my blood cholesterol down naturally. does anyone have any more answers for me ( where am I going wrong). I eat walnuts, Garlic, fish, veggies, fruits. I Take vitamin, Flaxseed oil, etc etc. You name it I eat it.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 31st, 2011
Hello and thank you for posting your medical question on E health forum.

From the history provided it seems that you have a borderline high cholesterol level

Below 5.2 mmol/L Desirable
5.2-6.2 mmol/L Borderline high
Above 6.2 mmol/L High

Based on age, body weight, height, and presence of other risk factors like hypertension, diabetes, etc, the mode of therapy is advised.

Diet and exercise can help individuals with no risk factors.
Presence of risk factors and elevated cholesterol levels would need medications so that risk of heart disease, stroke etc can be reduced.

Since it seems that you are following a low cholesterol diet, you might add physical exercise and weight reduction in your routine.

You need to consult a dietitian for additional help with your diet management.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cholesterol , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.