Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Multiple Sclerosis Forum

High cholesterol and MS

Must Read
Do you know the difference between good and bad cholesterol? When does cholesterol pose a threat to your health? More info here....
High levels of bad cholesterol in the blood can increase your risk of heart disease. So how do you know if you're experiencing high cholesterol, or not? ...
Who should request cholesterol testing? And how often? Learn how to check your cholesterol levels and what the optimum cholesterol levels are....
I have heard that the body naturally releases more cholesterol when the spinal cord is being attacked, as in MS. Anyone heard of this? My cholesterol went up at the same time I began having MS symptoms. I don't want to go on medicine to lower cholesterol if it is helping me get no new leisions in the past 4 years.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 16th, 2008
Doctor
The level of blood cholesterol is controlled by the liver and has nothing with any brain disorder including multiple sclerosis.
|

replied March 18th, 2009
High cholesterol and MS
I ahve recently had a reading of very high cholesterol and have been experiencing many MS symptoms, I am awaiting the results of an MRI. I ahve read that cholesterol is a major component of myelin. Would this account for the huge increase in my cholesterol levels?
|

User Profile
replied March 19th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Re: High cholesterol and MS
ChorusGirl wrote:
I ahve recently had a reading of very high cholesterol and have been experiencing many MS symptoms, I am awaiting the results of an MRI. I ahve read that cholesterol is a major component of myelin. Would this account for the huge increase in my cholesterol levels?

your answer can be found directly above your post....
|

replied November 19th, 2009
High cholesterol and MS
High Cholesterol and MS.
Recently I have read that cholesterol helps the synaps in the brain connect. I have been diagnosed with MS almost 25 years ago, later many MRI's have been taken as confirmation. Almost every three years since 92. I have had problems like blind in one eye and not being able to use my legs, or walking drunken. I never drink alcohol. Everytime everything has come back in use. Sometimes it took more than five years, but everything always comes back to be used. Doctors in The Academic Medical Center of Amsterdam can confirm this.
Is it maybe because of my very high cholesterol? Total more then 7. Both HDL and LDL are high.
|

replied April 25th, 2011
I seriously wonder if "Dr. Nikola" is a real doctor at all, as his answer is so far off the mark it's not even funny.

"The level of blood cholesterol is controlled by the liver and has nothing with any brain disorder including multiple sclerosis." <- Wrong. Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

We have known for decades that cholesterol (specifically dense cholesterol) is the primary make-up of the Myelin sheath. Cholesterol is ALSO used to repair damage to your veins, as well as a number of other functions. The increase in cholesterol is a response by your body as it attempts to repair the damage done to the nervous system. As more REAL science is being done (instead of these B.S. "observational studies") doctors who still believe the "cholesterol is bad" myth will begin to disappear. (75% of people who have heart disease have LOW cholesterol. 21% of those were taking statins: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1908140 6?dopt=Abstract)

High cholesterol, simply put, is NECESSARY for Myelin repair: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1579357 9

Do NOT take statins. If you have a doctor that's pushing them, find another doctor. The cholesterol is attempting to repair the damage, the answer is not to remove the repair mechanism, the answer is to figure out why the damage exists in the first place.

A rise in cholesterol is an indicator of damage to either the nervous system, or more commonly, to the bloodstream. Reducing cholesterol is like taking something to kill your white blood cells when you get an infection.
|