Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Forum

High blood pressure or not?

Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....
Hello I am 21 years old, male, the other day I went to the doctor and he checked my BP, he said it was really high like 180/100 which was a lot for my age.
I usually get nervous when they examine me, so I checked up again at home several times and I get different readings... like 110/70, 117/83 (highest was 134/90), I used one of those wrist monitors,I get a higher reading on the right wrist than the left.
Also my heart rate is 50, I usually run a lot and sometimes might overtrain, could this be the cause of my high blood pressure?

Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 19th, 2011
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum

Blood pressure readings keep on fluctuating throughout the day and are never constant.Some conditions which can increase the BP readings are after food,exercise,walk,anxiety,stress.
The readings which you have described are fine except the one noted at physician;s office.It might be higher due to at his place you might be stressed.
Relax yourself and do some meditation which would help in easing your mind and body.If the readings are continuously higher than 150/100 in a span of time then you might require medications.Consider visiting a Physician for evaluation.
Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our High Blood Pressure and Hypertension , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.