Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Forum

high blood pressure & legs, ankles & feet are swollen

Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....
doctor My husband has had high blood pressure for years & on medication for it. But, for the past few weeks his legs, ankles & feet have been swollen so bad they're twice the normal size. My question is, can this be a serious condition?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 4th, 2011
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum

Swelling in the feet and ankles with high BP is indicative of any underlying kidney issue and the BP not being in control.It seems his sodium is not under control and also water retention is there.He requires immediate attention.
Kindly do not ignore it and see a Physician soon for evaluation.

Take Care!

|

replied May 21st, 2011
does typhoid cause the blood pressure to go higher to 192?
|

User Profile
replied June 9th, 2011
Community Volunteer
Hi sunshine276...Get some help...Put him on a low salt diet...Control what he eats...This can be controlled, but he needs help....Yes, it is serious and possibly his medication is no longer helping and he needs a newer and more powerful drug...Please look into this...Take care...

Caroline
|

User Profile
replied August 7th, 2011
i had blood pressure reading of 170 once and when i got home and checked it i panikec cause i ran out of prescription for it....i read once about celery for high blood pressure and i just laughed but tried it anyway and my blood pressure went down immediately 10 points...i kid you not
|

User Profile
replied August 7th, 2011
Re: high blood pressure & legs, ankles & feet are swolle
sunshine276 wrote:
doctor My husband has had high blood pressure for years & on medication for it. But, for the past few weeks his legs, ankles & feet have been swollen so bad they're twice the normal size. My question is, can this be a serious condition?

see doctor immediately,,very dangerous,,he may need a diuretic to help and have his heart checked too
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our High Blood Pressure and Hypertension , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.