Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

High Blood Pressure during period (Page 1)

Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....
I have been in the hospital or at the emergency room every month when it is time for my monthly cycle. Today is no exception...Well, I did not go to hospital yet but came very close. My blood pressure reached 192/117. I get really scared when that happens and really dizzy headed. I do not understand why it seems that it is always close to my menstrual cycle. I take Diovan 160mg and my doctor gave me a dieuretic to go with it for my blood pressure to help lower it...well, the dieuretic pill dehydrated me and last week I was at the Emergency room and they had to give me fluids by iv to get my pulse rate down..it was 140. Does anyone else have these problems? Also, at the same visit when they were giving me ivs they said I have bronchitis and viral infection of some sort .I have recently had a nuclear stress and was told it looked good. Please help...anyone else have these problems?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Mom4ever
|

replied March 11th, 2009
My blood pressure increase during cycle
I am so relieved to know that I am not alone with this. I too suffer with high blood pressure during or close to my cycle. I talked to my doctor about it but she said she has never heard of this happening before. I am frustrated about this because every month I am faced with this very scary issue. I am looking for an answer to why this keeps happening to me, that's why I googled 'why do my blood pressure increase during menstration'. I need answers...
|

replied June 30th, 2011
Hello,

I began noticing the same thing sometime in 2009 or 2010. My dr said 'that can happen', but did didn't explain why. I googled starches with HBP, sugar with HBP and menstrual cycle with HBP.

I don't recall the source, but it was a well documented article about types of sugar in the body, hormone levels during the pre-menstrual time period, the stress those hormones trigger and (I think) the body's natural response of releasing more sugar to deal withe the stress.

I have found that when I went on a very low sugar (starches, honey, alcohol etc,etc) diet...my HBP plunged to levels I had not seen in over a year.

This was amazing to me. I guess for whatever reason some people's pressure is more susceptable to sugar instead of salt (I think I'm in that bucket). Additionally, if you research...it seems not all women with HBP experience an extreme noticeable increase in HBP during the cycle.

Do some google searches if you like. Hope this helps.
|

replied October 24th, 2011
High BP during Period
So you have to slightly increase your sugar intake so this won't happen? I have a very similar problem HBP right before and during my period.
|

replied August 9th, 2011
I'm in the same boat
I am in the same boat! This has been happening sporadically to me for almost 5 years. 48-72hrs before my period starts my blood pressure will go up and I will get a headache which often turns into a migraine and start throwing runs of PVC's. The highest my BP has been was 212/148. I ended up in the hospital for a week and on bedrest for 3 weeks after that. My pressure sometimes "bounces" - it will spike up very high and stay there for a short period of time and then it will go back down to a normal safe level and it will keep doing that for several hours or days. I have been evaluated by cardiologists - normal cardiac cath and stress/echo, endocrinologist - ruled out: pheochromocytoma, pituitary tumor, adrenal tumor, sometimes my TSH & T4 come back "slightly abnormal", I have done 3, 24hr urine tests and once it came back positive for catecholamines. His diagnosis was "possibly" euthyroid sick syndrome. I have also had an octreotide scan to rule out Carcinoid Syndrome, CT and MRI's to numerous to count and enough blood work to feed a fleet of vampires and most recently a hematology work up (results still pending). 1 month ago I was lucky enough to develop pulmonary emboli, I spent 3 days in the hospital, and 5 days after discharge I fell down the stairs and broke my leg. 4 days ago I was in the ER for elevated BP, headache, and palpatations (which I get when these episodes happen),2 days ago I got my period, and today the worst day of my period my BP was up (around 150/110) even after I medicated myself 4 times with clonidine (per Dr's order). I have discussed the correlation between my period and my symptoms with every dr. that I have seen and while none of them tell me there is no relationship, none of them can tell me what or why the relationship is. Not only is this frustrating, its frightening!! I haven't been able to find any answers. Is there anybody that has found answers???
|

replied June 2nd, 2014
I suffer with high BP but when I come on my period my blood pressure goes up I also been check for stress/echo and my urine has been check I know it's my period I am just going to have my uterus removed I can't take the headaches the cramping the pain the tingling I am a forty- three yr old who has been dealing with this since I was in my 20's
|

replied June 27th, 2014
Hi I highly recommend trying nutrition response testing. Look it up, your body can tell you what area is having trouble and what supplement can get it back to operating the way it's supposed to. Hopefully there's someone trained in your area. My chiropractor just happened to be trained and people have been traveling over 100 miles just to see her. I'm 41 and as time went on my blood pressure spikes during my periods got scarier. Now I'm at the last month of taking my supplements, no blood pressure spikes during my periods, and so relieved.
|

replied August 10th, 2011
Guys it's not in your head. It's just not well documented. Check this link out:

http://www.ehow.com/facts_4865888_high-blo od-pressure-menstrual-cycles.html

The study shows BP changes during all stages of menstruation.
|

replied June 17th, 2012
High bp with menstration
I am so happy to see that I am not the only one that suffers from this! I am a nurse and when I talk to my MD about this correlation I am looked at as if I am tring to play doctor cord myself. I know there is a relationship with the two And it is frustrating when no one takes you seriously. My bp is elevated but I don't feel it and this time I was have palpitations and my md did not believe me I am now seeking another md with more experience. I will updated this post if I get any answers.
|

replied September 9th, 2012
I have encountered this problem since last March, but I am starting to suspect the menstrual migraines I have had in the past are BP related. I've been on on birth control for at least 20 years and have been experiencing high blood pressure these last 6 months. My OBGYN took me off BC for one month, in which my BP stabilized, however, it shot up during my period week and dropped again once the period was over. I then started using NouvaRing and have been on it for 1 month. My BP was stable during the 3 weeks the ring was being used, but shot up to 160/116 3 days into my period this month. This was accompanyied by a massive headache, dizziness, and nausea. All symptoms subsided within two days and everything is back to normal today (the start of NouvaRing, again).
My OBGYN wants my GP to run tests on my kidneys. I would like these two doctors to communicate with each other based on this situation. I think these BP spikes associated with hormonal fluctuations are more common than people think. I only wish I had checked my BP with every menstrual migraine I've had in the past.
|

User Profile
replied November 13th, 2012
Blood pressure during period
I do not no the reason, it happened to me during my cycle too .. i just start to drink 3 -4 cups of Karkade tea and my blood pressure go down right away ! Try it work!!
|

replied July 12th, 2013
i have had high blood pressure for some years and as soon as i stopped having the deppo injection my blood presure shot up to 187/115, so it is deffinatley connected.
|

replied April 10th, 2014
Ladies its simple. Around that time of the month you sodium level increases and your potassium level decreases. So just increase your potassium and your blood pressure will not go up. I know because i was in the same boat as you guys. I went to doctors and they thought it was in my mind. I prayed and this is the revelation i got from God and it works. Buy the Vitamin water the fruit punch has 800 mgs of potassium. Just sip on it on watch your bp go down.
|

replied April 10th, 2014
Ladies its simple. Around that time of the month you sodium level increases and your potassium level decreases. So just increase your potassium and your blood pressure will not go up. I know because i was in the same boat as you guys. I went to doctors and they thought it was in my mind. I prayed and this is the revelation i got from God and it works. Buy the Vitamin water the fruit punch has 800 mgs of potassium. Just sip on it on watch your bp go down.
|

replied March 23rd, 2009
My blood pressure gets high on my period too
Hi my name is ashley i see iam not the only one with this issue. I first thought maybe it was yhe birth control i was on levora .15 so i stopped taking it. But i realized that it had went down once i was off my period from abruptly stopping my birth control and now iam on and my pressure is last checked 152/100. My head is hurting so thats how i knew. But the doctor tried to put me in this medication. I am hessitant to take it because i dont want to be on medication. But im seeing i have no choice at this point. High blood pressure is a silent killer.
|

User Profile
replied April 16th, 2011
Hello Im telling you right now take the medication because it just may not get higher because the medication would be in your systems an plus you want to pass out some where or other serious problems may occur
|

replied April 9th, 2009
pms and high blood pressure
I have the same problem. My blood pressure sudden rises, not above 160-110, but it is enough to make me feel panic. My body gets hot, my sight is troubled (I can see clearly, but darker), and I get very insecure, especially if I am driving. I went to a cardiologist and he did nothing about it, but treated me like a "normal" pacient with high blood pressure. I read something about it and I know that progestorone levels can affect blood pressure. If you have any other information, please tell, we can help one another.
|

replied July 28th, 2011
I too have the same problem headaches with elevated b/p 160s/100s,two days ago I had to go to the ER. I hope someday they can get to the bottom of this I am on bith control pill but it does not contain estrogen. I am on jolivette, going to see the neurologist and I too get very hot despite having the ac on I also get perssure over my eyes. Worst headache ever taking b/p meds also.
|

replied June 10th, 2009
I have this problem too! And when I told them that this happens around the time of my period, they said I needed to see their counselor. When I talked to their counselor, she was trying hard as she could to push SSRI pills on me! I am not a crazy person or depressed in ANY way. These people were really creepy! She kept saying "Why did Dr. Baker send you to me?" and I said "I have high blood pressure." Then she went through a book that had symptoms of panic attacks and tried to convince me that my high blood pressure was panic attacks! If anybody does a google search for "SSRI cash cow" they will see that these kinds of doctors have an agenda - they want to prescribe SSRI drugs for anybody and everybody because they get big $$$. Of course ANY person is going to feel stuff like "fear of losing control" when their blood pressure is up! Mine was 180/90 and my head was pounding (even my spine was pounding). Anyway, doctors don't want to deal with anything if it isn't going to make them lots of extra $$$ by prescribing stuff people don't even need. I am disgusted.
|

replied December 25th, 2011
I've been dealing with the same thing. I have postpartum depression...but my daughter is a year old now and I'm still having problems and can't get off the antidepressants. The main reason I can't get off of them is because every month 5-7 days before my period I will have "anxiety" and HBP issues. I've been telling my doctors about the obvious link between the two and no one will listen to me...not even the female doctors! UGH!! I'm so tired of this. I only have anxiety/higher bp's (150/100) right before and a few days into my period! It CAN'T be a coincidence!! I completely believe it's hormone related! Unfortunately, I think we have to do the research and investigating ourselves! I believe it's a hormone issue...I think I'm going to the health food store and getting progesterone to take. I'll start there and see what happens. When I'm pregnant, I'm fine...I feel great...I lose weight....then when I'm not pregnant anymore my body goes out of wack, again! It's just crazy that none of us can find anyone to help us. Next, I'm going to try HRT, if I have to...I can't live the rest of my life like this. If men had to do this...there'd be a cure for it...that's for sure. It would be taken much more seriously! So frustrating!!!
|
Users who thank Mom4ever for this post: jalo118 

replied June 15th, 2009
Hello again! I was diagnosed with Panic Attacks too and I am taking an antidepressive drug and I agree with this, because I think I have low serotonin level induced by low female hormones. Panic Attack, I believe, does not occur by itself but it is due to something wrong with the chemestry of your body. Like you all, I have been to many doctors and after a while I decided that I had to research by myself, because the doctors couldn't give me a reasonable answer for it. Nowadays I've been thru a lot of exams to know if I have to take bioidentical hormones along with the antidepressive drug. I forgot to ask you all how old are you, because I am 45 and I did a lot of research on this and I believe it has connection with low female hormones (premenopause).
|

replied June 10th, 2012
Hi , I have been batling with the same for years actualli since around 2004,2005,landing in hospital almost everyday aroud 1 and 2.30am ,I couldnt take it anymoe seing my family so freighten about what was happening , until on day the dr said to just ly down if I had to had a heart attack or a stroke because of very high blood pressure at least I was in hospital already they did everytjing they could but the bp stayed high. Then they told me after about 2 hours that my problem was anxiety attacks and that I had chronic depression . Thank God I have been ok for years after treatment and prayer , but a few months ago I started with the same thing. I also think it has to do with premenopause because I'm 48 , but if anyone can help what do I take for it the GP put me on Novofem hormone treatment from October last year and I think that maybe this as changed everything I trigered the symptoms again.Any suggestion or help?
|

replied June 15th, 2009
I don't believe what they say about serotonin at all. Celexa did nothing to help me at all. I think this happens alot because I have talked to other women who said when they got into the range of menopause age, their bodies went crazy too and their blood pressure was bouncing around like crazy. I don't like it at all, but that seems to be what happens. I don't like the way doctors talk down to me and look at me like they think I am crazy or mental. I am very close to stopping going to doctors at all and looking for herbs or doing deep breathing. I had a period one time during my perimenopause that lasted about 20 days. I didn't know that much about hormones and stuff at the time, so I thought I had cancer or something. It turned out to be low progesterone. I had to go to an emergency room doctor to find that out. My perimenopause has so far lasted more than 10 years! I have a period and then I will miss a few, and then I might have 2 or 3, and then I will miss some more. It is a very topsy-turvy time. Now I have the new added problem of elevated blood pressure with each period. It's a new problem for me (has been ongoing for last 3 periods) but it is very awful. So far I have seen at least 6 doctors and none of them know anything. SIGH! I just bought some natural progesterone cream so I hope this is going to help with something. Pray for me. I pray for you guys too.
|
Users who thank cdromm for this post: PenelopeM 

replied June 28th, 2009
high bp during my period
ok so during my period time or right before i am done my bp goes high, usually around 160/98 and one time it even got to be a little over 170/100 which really scared me . I say this because i amd 34 years old and when i was 29 i had a stroke. then my bp was 200/over something. . and yes i was on my period during that too!!I know it is scary. see during the rest of the month my bp is normal but once i get on my period, i am usually at the ER for my bp. I am on a daily dose of coreg 40mg adn lisinopril 10mg. if anyone out there can tell me y this is or if any m.d. thanks.
|

replied March 28th, 2011
bp goes high during menstrual period after stroke
Hi. I would like to know if you ever got a answer to why this is happening to you. As I have the exact same problem. I also had a stroke at 29 on the 2nd or 3rd day of my period and my bp was also over 200/over something. I am currently 30 and every month I have the fear of having another stroke because my bp goes high on day 2 to 4 of my period and I get so dizzy and my sight goes blurry and I am very sentive to sounds. Esspecially buzzing sounds. I would really appreciate your help. The doctors also don't have an answer for me and the only help I am really getting is through prayer.
|

replied March 23rd, 2012
Finally!!! I found someone who experiences the same problem as me. I have TIAs and recently a stroke (I am only 34). Im doctor 'believes' me but does not known of any cases of this. He changed my blood pressure medication to Linosopril 10mg (up to 20mg today).
|

replied July 11th, 2009
high blood pressure, migrain headaches and your period
I was recently sent to the ER for high blood pressure and I too was having my period. Like some of you I get debilitating migrains just before and during my period. I have been on the pill for over ten years and have had normal bolld pressure readings when I'm NOT on my period. This is the first time that I have realized that my migrains are linked wtih high blood pressure. For me, I strongly believe that high blood pressure comes with the migrains which I only get during my period. Try to keep a headache diary or blood pressure diary to help communicate your situation with your doctor.
|

replied August 17th, 2012
Im glad I am on this site. Went to my doctor for a visit today and they took my bp and it was high 150/74 I think. I have my period,on the pill and I only get headaches when I have my period, not migranes but more like tension. I asked my obgyn about it and he said it was the estrogen level causing the headache, but now I think my bp goes up when I have my period. Ive been to the obgyn a few times the past few months and my bp was normal. I am going to keep track of this.
|

replied August 22nd, 2009
ME TOO!!!
I just noticed I am having this same problem. I am 38. I went to get checked for an ear infection and when they took my blood pressure, they said it was 140/94 and that it was too high. This was a couple days before my cycle started. I have been monitoring it at home with my electronic bp monitor and it has reached 150/94. I do not know why this is happening. It is usually not low but definitely not higher than 130/80. You would think that the loss of blood would cause the bp to drop. I am very perplexed by this. Maybe it's b/c of the pain and everything that I am feeling more tense? I'm glad to see I'm not alone in this, but I also would like us to get some answers. I don't have insurance yet so I can't get this checked further until then.
|

replied August 25th, 2009
I'm 38 yrs old & always been healthy
Thanks for all your comments about high BP during your period.I just discovered this. I have always suffered terriably with my periods. I get "Deathly ill" with migraines,weakness,disoriented & overall feeling of sickness. Anyways, I just happen to go to the doctor the other day to get a perscription refill & when he checked my BP it was 170/100. I've never had high BP. I'm always low because i'm a runner. The doctor was so surprise by my BP but I told him that I was about to start my period & maybe that was the cause. He said NO! As soon as I finished my period my BP went down & all my period symptoms were gone too. I just went back to the doctor so he could check my BP again & it was low. So, he wants to check it again in a couple of weeks. Now I'm wondering if all these years of suffering with very bad periods & the symptoms is all due to high BP during this time. This is all new to me & very scarry!!! I'm currently training for a marathon & I'm worried about my BP getting high again without me knowing it!
|

replied September 14th, 2009
High Blood Pressure during my cycle
Hi Everyone and thanks for posting!! It's nice to know that I'm "normal". I have been having bp issues for the past 3 to 4 years, I'm 43. I have been telling both my regular fp doc and my gyn for the past 2 years that i notice a BIG increase in my bp (170's/105) 5 to 7 days before my period and it will last for about 2 days into my period. I have been put on lisinopril, but can't take it everyday. I'm actually taking 1/2 a pill and when i don't have my period it's toooo low on just the 1/2 pill (96/60). I don't know what to do anymore. Please keep posting and let us know if anyone comes up with a resolution.
|

replied September 15th, 2009
Hi I think I'm having this same issue. But included is warm and wet feeling around my head maybe this is a sign that my blood pressure is high. I think I will go check it right now. I'm 2 days into my monthly. And you are right doctors don't listen to us-it's much easier to give a drug than actually take the time to research the symptoms. If we want answers we will have to find them ourselves, by keeping written records of our symptoms and when they accur.
|

replied November 5th, 2009
Wow!!!! I am 30, and I have been having bp issues during PMS for years. It took me a long time to figure out that my "spells" were related to my periods. I worked at a hospital for many years, and occasionally I would feel very sick. The nurses would take my BP, and sometimes it was so high they would send me to the ER. (The highest was 220/140!) When I got married and started on birth control pills, my episodes stopped. I got pregnant the first month we stopped the pill and had a lot of bp issues during my pregnancy. I also became extremely bloated (which also happens during my periods) and was put on bedrest. I was told I had preeclampsia at first, but then my syptoms just stop with the BP and bloating. They never develop into anything else. I've have two kids now and had the same problem with my second pregnancy. The periods I have when not on birth control pills are always the trouble for me. I briefly talked to my doctor about this, and he said that it could be related to the water weight I gain during my periods. Increased body fluids increase BP. I plan on talking more about this with him, and I will post what I find out. I'm SO glad that I found you ladies! Nobody has ever understood what I was talking about. I've often doubted my own symptoms.
|

replied November 11th, 2009
highblood with period
I am 39 and have been experiencing this for about 6 mos and I was also told that I have anxiety attacks.However I will not allow them to give me medicines because I know that is not the case. Dr's do not have time to try and figure this out. If it is something that is not common then you are crazy. How ever 180/100 is the highest my presuure has reached. This is the first day. The next day it is regular 127/77 and this is with medication. Someone really needs to check this out before someone has a stroke behind something like this.
|

replied November 16th, 2009
So glad I found this website, I thought I was crazy! I've always had trouble with PMS, sweating, feeling anxious, disoriented and sometimes dizzy, at this time my blood pressure always goes up the other day it was 128/100 at the doctors, while my pulse was only 60. A day after my period everything is back to normal and if I take my blood pressure it is sometimes as low as 98/57, I run and/or exercise every day I'm fairly small at 5'2" 100 lbs. I've been so worried about this blood pressure thing but was once told that variations are normal and unless it is elevated for years all the time, not too worry. Is this true?
|

replied November 23rd, 2009
Blood Pressure Spiking Right Before Period...
I, too, am suffering with this problem... I only recently realized that it is right before my period starts as well! Someone mentioned increased fluid retention can cause this so I'm wondering if the fluid retention is causing an electrolyte problem, including potassium reduction. I am also having seizures and psychosis with the onset of my periods...and have been to the ER four times over the past couple of months!
|

replied November 28th, 2009
I am 43 and have low blood pressure my whole life (110/70 or lower). In the last three months I've discovered my blood pressure has skyrocketed (170/119).
?? I only discovered this when I broke a finger and they took it at each check up. They don't know why. Everything else is healthy and same as always been. But after reading through your emails above I am wondering if it is related to premenopause...the highest readings have been just before and during my period. Something to think about.
|

replied December 6th, 2009
Hi i'm glad i found this forum too, i have high blood pressure discovered because i had a constant headache for 3 weeks, but for months before before this i had headaches for months, just before and during my period my head would hurt constantly my GP says they are not conected but my last reading while not on my period was 184/114, my husband is away to get me a monitor as i am typing thanks to all it is a great comfort to know i'm not alone. hope you all feel better soon.
|

replied December 10th, 2009
well since my last post been back to my GP with a reading of 212/113. GP still wont except that the 2 are connected have another appiontment today so will see how that goes.
|