Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

hiccups and burps

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
Once and a while I get the Hiccups. When I get them, I get them so bad that they last for sometimes a good half an hour, also with every hiccup I burp out air. It's like a hiccup and a burp combined at the same time. Afterwards, Let's say I have a drink or something to eat, I get air in my stomach like normal people do while they eat or drink something. Well, I'm almost positive that because of the hiccups being mixed with violent burps, something happens inside my throat/chest that will block the air from a burp coming up after the eating or drinking. Basically I have air trapped in my stomach and when I try to burp... it comes up to about the bottom of my neck line/chest area and something stops the burp and sends the air back down to my stomach causing me to want to burp badly to release the trapped air but everytime I want to... I can't and it becomes very uncomfortable. Eventually it will go away and back to normal and I will have a huge release of air (finally) with a loud tight burp (almost like whatever is in the way is finally letting some of the air through). I can't stand it and it bugs the hell out of me! I read somewhere on the internet a long time ago, how to release air in your stomach when you have a trapped burp (I guess you'd call it) but I can't remember the actual process to get the burp up and I can't remember where I read this trick. Do you have any ideas/suggestions; and if known... what is causing this "caught burp problem" in my throat/chest area?

Thank you for any help with this!!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper lleddirs
|

User Profile
replied May 30th, 2008
Doctor
For how long you have been experiencing this problem?
Do you speak a lot while eating? Do you eat with open mouth?
Are you overweight?
Can you give me some more information about your medical history, other stomach/chest disorders, personal data (age, sex, habits...) etc.?
|

replied May 31st, 2008
Hiccups & Burps Reply
The problem maybe started about 2 years ago I guess (in this particular case or kind of problem). I don't speak too much while eating, but once and a while maybe (Like the average Joe). I do not eat with my mouth open! I chew normally. I am about 5' 11" tall, weight is 190, Male age 38, I have no other medical conditions related to my stomach, chest, etc... I do have some heartburn quite a bit but thats been since I was in my early - mid 20's, I take Tums and Generic Tagamet once a day. No other disorders.

Okay... Other things I didn't mention... I've recently noticed that it happens mostly on days where I don't eat all day and then eat a good dinner but maybe because my stomach was empty all day, It sucked or should I say took in a lot of air. I've also noticed that the Hiccups are so strong along with the hiccup Burping that something in my throat is getting aggravated and is possibly swelling or closing up... so, that may be blocking the air in my stomach after the episode of the hiccup burps ends. It takes quite a while to get the ???swelling??? or disruption that's preventing me from burping afterwards due to the trapped air, to go away. I at one time figured... "Okay, well, if something is swelling up or getting irritated and closing, it would be obvious to assume that maybe an anti-inflamatory like motrin may make it go away... so I tried that, and it does seem to work (I think, not very sure) but it does take quite a while before the blockage goes away and releases that trapped air, with a big burp or many little burps that sound like they're squeezing by the blockage with a strong push or forcing the burp by me, sord of! I do smoke, I don't know if that has anything to do with it but I'm pretty sure it does not. I do not smoke alot (maybe a pack every two-three days), I've been smoking off and on for about 15-20 yrs or so. Like I said before, this only happens occasionally when I don't eat all day. There was one time where it happened and I did eat normally that time, so it kind of made me think that the "not eating idea" went out the window.

Thank you very much Doc, for responding... You are the only one that did so I thank you!!!

Scott R.
|

User Profile
replied June 4th, 2008
Doctor
Why do you take Tums (calcium carbonate)? It could cause burps as a side effect. Calcium carbonate reacts with the stomach acid and the gas CO2 (carbon dioxide) is released from this chemical reaction. It seems to me that burps are not the only stomach problem you have but acid reflux too. Both problems could be due to persistence of hiatus hernia. You can request testing for Helicobacter Pilory and gastroscopy.
Hiatus hernia could provoke hiccups by pressing the diaphragm and also prevents the gases from the stomach to come out.
You can consult some gastroenterohepatologist about this.
|

replied July 28th, 2008
I suffer from Hicc-burps as my cousin calls them. They started about a year ago. I don't take any kind of oral medicine nor intramuscular or vein. Just topical for acne. I'm 19 years old, 5' 2" and weigh 110. I don't have any kind of medical conditions of any sort.
|

replied October 4th, 2008
bloating
i have just been diagnosed with a hiatus hernia and a bacyerial infection in my stomach,i am getting treatment for it but i did not ask my doctor if these problems were cusing my stomach to swell everytimei eat or drink can you confirm this please?
|

replied March 18th, 2009
Getting Tests Done
I am 18 5'4''and about 120. I recently took some upper GI tests, forexample; a barium swallow. My doctor said there were signs of GERD and I will have further tests done in April to see the damage, but they think a hiatus hernia has caused the acid reflux. But even as I type I am making an odd burping sound that everyone around me describes as a frog croak. My best advice is to drastically change your diet. Avoid greasy foods, caffeine, and acidic foods in general. Also my doctor perscibed me Omeprazole. However, it doesn't completely work. Also, I take heartburn relief and malox. I hope this helped!
|

replied August 1st, 2009
I too have had the hiccup/burping problem. It started about a year ago as just hiccups, one or two at a time about 20 times a day. Recently in the past month, I started to burp everytime I hiccupped. My primary care doctor had me take a couple different acid reflex medicines but neither one worked. Also, I have been to a GI and had an endoscopy but that didn't find anything.
|

replied March 25th, 2011
Bloating - Air
Hi,

I have been getting major bloating and air in m body for the past 6-7 weeks now. It all starts when i eat a meal, i feel overly full although i eat normal portions. Eating then causes me to have constant burps although not complete burps as i feel that air is trapped inside my body. I also feel short of breath and my bowl movement has decreased causing me to put on weight. Today i have had hiccups for the majority of the day on and off and i feel as though i am suffocating from the air that is trapped in my body. Do you have any idea as to what this may be?
|

replied April 16th, 2012
help, i have the hicburps a lot in inconvenient times and places, please help, i really want them to stop
|

replied June 10th, 2012
I always get hiccups after laughing too much. I also burp a lot and sometimes I can't breathe properly. Because of too much burping, my head and hands get numb. I'm really worried. Sometimes I wake up suddenly from sleeping because I can't breathe properly. Do you have any advice?
|

replied October 1st, 2012
Hiccups and burps at the SAMETIME
I burp and hiccup at the same time, this problem started last month. It has not affected me or my health in any way, but i don't know the cause.
|