Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acid Reflux Forum

hiccups after eating

Must Read
Almost everyone experience heartburn or acid indigestion at times. But what is acid reflux and how could it cause more serious problems?...
Can you tell the difference between common heartburn symptoms and signs of more serious digestive problems? Learn when and how to take action for acid reflux....
Heartburn is common, but it is not trivial. It's important to diagnose and treat heartburn or acid reflux as early as possible. Review diagnostic procedure now...
hiccups after eating so annoying i know acid reflux i have that it caused by laying down to much im lazy but i get hiccups of my stomach makes my throat stretch to much after i eat any useful advice?i take no meds at all
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied March 22nd, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

Hiccups happen when the diaphragm is irritated in case of a full stomach or inflammation of membrane surrounding the heart.

Irregular food habits, like eating faster than normal causing the temporary loss of air flow also resuts in short term hiccups.

In most cases they usually subside within a few minutes of rest or with deep breathing exercises. One must inhale as much air as they can, then hold it for some time. Then air must be abruptly released. this must be done for at least ten times or until he is relieved of the hiccups.

Lying on a flat surface for 2-5 minutes, and breathing deeply or drinking a glass of water will do the same trick.

But in case doing them does not help in relieving hiccups and the attack lasts longer than 24 hours, then it is advised to consult a doctor for prescription of medications.

Prescription Medications like chlorpromazine might be very helpful to treat your symptoms.

I hope this helps.
|

replied April 10th, 2012
hahaa- the same thing has happened to me all my life. Only, once I'm full, I tend to get just one or 2 hiccups.
It's my sign to stop eating Smile

A trick my hubby taught me for severe hiccups, is to stimulate the back of your throat by quickly swallowing a packet of sugar or crushed crackers. Make sure your throat is dry when you down either.
I rarely get hiccups THAT bad, so I've never actually tried it, but I've seen it work wonders for him.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Acid Reflux , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.