Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Hiatus Hernia severe attacks the pain is unbearable

Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
User Profile
Hi there,
I am a 41 year old male. I am hoping that someone can help me with this problem that I am now sure is the cause of my pain attacks.
I have been experiencing such painful attacks for over a year now and its effecting my life. After having a camera put down my throat I have been told I have a Hiatus Hernia and also gastritus. OK this is understood but what happens with me is really scaring me now. I get a pain in my chest which wakes me up at night (Especially if I have eaten late or a large meal). It then causes me severe pain that makes me nauseas, faint and dizzy I can't think straight. I am breathless and sweating profusely and cannot talk. I can see why Hiatus Hernia attacks can be confused with heart attacks. It feels like I have a knife in the middle of my breastbone/chest and the pain radiates up through my throat and I feel like I have a helium balloon trying to push up through it!
My head feels like it is going to explode and I am literally in tears now writting this thinking of the pain.
Now the weird thing is that it comes on and can last for 5 minutes or can last 2 hours (2 hours has me exhuasted and collapsed). When the pain attack finishes it literally just vanishes within seconds. It's as though someone was strangling my insides and then just lets go!
I have gone down to A&E and they thought it was a gallstone I had but I know its not this but you try to explain the pain but its hard to get it across. After the camera now though I believe its the Hiatus Hernia but reading about this condition it seems I have something a bit more severe than just acid reflux due to a Hiatus Hernia and would desperately appreciate anyones experiences or suggestions on this.

Oh and another symptom is my urine goes really dark the next day after the attack. Thanking anyone in advance for their help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 14th, 2012
Hi, my names Anthony and I am 24 yrs old. I have the hiatus hernia and it put me in the emergency room yesterday. After working out I started having trouble breathing and felt like passing out. I also felt something in my throat and it felt like my throat was closing. No one was home so I went outside and called 911
as I was blacking out the ambulance arrived. I get these attacks all the time, mostly not this severe. Don't know what step to take. I got a skope dont 2 months ago they said I had a small hiatus hermia.
|

replied May 25th, 2013
attacks
Have either of you figured out what is going on?
I am a 29/f and have very similar attacks. My attacks come on all of a sudden. I'm in immediate pain where the chest breaks by your diaphragm. It's hard to breath, the pain is excruciating and I start sweating everywhere. I get very weak and it's hard to even hold myself up. I have noticed my attacks usually happen in the late evenings when I'm most relaxed, but they have happened during the day time too. I had my gal bladder removed in 09 along with a recent EGD showing nothing. I have also been diagnosed with gastritis and microscopic colitis. I have no idea what is causing these attacks, but I fear them all the time. I just want answers!
|

replied November 7th, 2013
heart attack or hiatal hernia?
I was in orientation today at college and out of the blue got chest pain in my breastbone, middle upper back, the dip in the front of my throat hurt and felt like my neck was swelling up, great pain on the left side of my head, 3 left fingers went numb and my heart was racing. I don't know if it's a hiatal hernia or if i'm having a mild heart attack! And every time i start to go to sleep every night something in my chest keeps me from it...!@#$ I had a ekg done a month ago because i thought i was having a heart attack and a chest x ray and the doctor came back and said that I have flueracy (however you spell it)
|

replied November 26th, 2013
hiatus hernia attacks
hi ive just had a attack mow and im sick of them they are happening more mow. I got one 4 weeks ago and one small one today I lay down as It makes me feel better. I feel house bound I cant cope, I get bloated and feel sick ive lost a stone in a week as I get heartburn all the time. im at the gps today for help again. im on a waiting list for an op as ive got a large hiatus hernia all my stomach is in my chest. ive had it since I was 21. I to had gall stones which were removed in 2010 but a few weeks later I got an attack like gallstones and though why. then realised its my hernia. I need help all the time from getting ready to bending down.
|

replied February 5th, 2014
Relief for hiatal hermia pain
I have been having these attacks for over a year and (thru trial and error) have found some things that help settle it down more quickly. I take an ibuprofen, a GasX and drink some chamomile tea. Then I put some heat on my abdomen (heating pad or bean bag). The trick is to do all of these as soon as you start to feel the discomfort. The sooner you start, the sooner it stops and the less severe the pain. Also, being careful not to eat too much or too fast. That is usually what sets me off to begin with.
|

replied February 6th, 2014
I get the same horrible pain! My heart checked out fine so now I'm not sure if its esophageal spasms or from a Hiatal Hernia but I'm in the process of getting it figured out. I discovered years ago that when I feel the pain start, I immediately stop what I'm doing and drink a big glass of water without stopping. It makes the pain stop in it's tracks. The pain sometimes wakes me up at night but drinking water always helps. Sometimes it takes two glasses but I've never had to go to three. I've noticed when I get dehydrated is when I am more prone to having this pain. Hope this brings some relief to all who suffer from this Smile
|

replied February 12th, 2014
I've also had this exact pain for over a year now. I went to the ER over the summer during a really bad attack thinking they could pinpoint the cause. My heart was palpitating and skipping wildly, I thought I was having a heart attack. I could barely speak from being so out of breathe but they told me everything looked normal on their monitors. I was previously diagnosed with a 3cm hiatal hernia in 2011 so I'm pretty sure I'm having hiatal hernia attacks. These attacks happen so frequently now that I can hardly maintain a normal sleeping schedule. I have been sleeping with my pillows against the wall in a sitting position for months now to try to prevent the attacks from happening. I'm a light sleeper to begin with so the quality of sleep is not that good.

When I feel an attack coming on I usually try to drink a glass of water and jump up and down to force the stomach/esophagus back down. This usually makes the attack not so severe but occasionally I will get light headed when trying to stand. By that point there isn't much I can do but sit and try my best to endure. I'm also always feeling dehydrated, yet have to go to the bathroom every time I take a drink and have dark urine every morning. I'd like to see a doctor and maybe take a urinalysis/blood test but do not have insurance at the moment.
|

replied March 27th, 2014
Hi folks..I'm a 38 year old mother of 4 and i have had a hiatal hernia for about 15 years now from being so sick during my pregnancies.I have an attack about once every other month but my attacks seem to be more severe than what i've been reading about them.I usually get nauseated and begin vomiting first thing in the morning when i wake up.For no reason at all..didnt do anything different than normal but it just occurs.My attacks last for atleast 4-7 days and i lay in bed vomiting once every 30 minutes or so the entire time.It's usually acid and bile.I have major pain right where my ribs split at the top and it goes straight through to my back.I will sit in the shower floor and let extremely hot water spray my back and finally it goes numb and im better for about 5 minutes and then back to puking and pain.After days and days i will either go to the ER for fluids ect or i just wake up from the tiny amount of sleep i do get and the pain is just gone..i'm sore in those same places as if i just had a fight but not feeling like im being stabbed anymore.I'm going back for another scope and i have tried everything acid related to stop the pain but other than that what do they give to help with the pain?I can not live this way anymore.
|