Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

Hiatus hernia relapse or gastritis ?

Must Read
We burp, belch and fart an average of 12 times a day. But why do we have gas? And what is intestinal gas?...the basics here....
Intestinal gas forms from two main sources - swallowed air and bacteria in the intestine. Plus, learn which factors to avoid to decrease the likelihood of gas....
How much gas is normal? Usually symptoms of gas and flatulence are more bothersome than serious. But learn when you should seek help for excessive gas here....
I am 27 yrs old and was diagnosed with hiatus hernia (sliding) after I was taken to the hospital with food poisoning (gastroenteritis) and a little blood (mallory weiss tear) in my Vomit. I stayed in the hospital for a couple of days and then was released on meds Pantoprazole and Domstal(Domperidone). Felt nausea for a couple of days and then everything went back to normal. Got off the meds. No heartburn, no acidity, appetite came back etc. I was like this before the food poisoning also. Now two weeks down the road I consumed from deep fried stuff and all the symptoms came back. I tried Zantac + Zofran, Anti cramping medication, Pantoprazole + Zofran. I haven't been able to sleep, get very restless in the night arms and feet get tingly. Eating very light diet and eating every 2 hrs. My doc claims my Hiatus hernia got aggravated when I vomited and then again when I ate fried food. Its been 14 days now and no respite. My symptoms are Nausea when I wake up that goes by mid morning, continuous growling of the stomach, burning sensation just above my navel under the breast bone, flatulence, belching, bloated feeling. I haven't smoked in 2 weeks as I heard it aggravates the symptoms. Do I have gastritis? I am trying to know if its a relapse of the previous condition/ a brand new condition?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 2nd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Patients that have either GERD or gastritis, experience same symptoms in a form of syndrome, known as dyspepsia or difficult digestion.
Dyspepsia symptoms are reccurent or chronic upper abdominal pain above the navel, upper abdominal fullness, early satiety (the sensation of fullness after a very small amount of food), abdominal bloating, nausea with or without vomiting, belching and heartburn.
With GERD you'll experience food or stomach juices regurgation, or feeling of acid backing up in the throat.
The sensation that food is trapped behind the breastbone, hoarseness, dry cough, the sensation of having a lump in the throat, and the need to repeatedly clear the throat, chronic sore throat, persistent hiccups, are less common symptoms of GERD that can make the distinguishing diagnosis more easilly made.
Hiatus hernia predisposes one to have attacks of GERD or acid reflux.
When the acid reflux symptoms get worse overtime and unreposible to regular drug therapy, a surgery for hernia is usually, suggested.
Insomnia is a common side effects of Pantoprazole.
Tingling sensation in your hands and legs is known as paresthesia, and is a rare side effect of certain antacids.
|
Did you find this post helpful?