Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

hiatal hernia or ulcer?

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
I am going to see my regular dr tomorrow but I have horrible upper stomach pain and take all kinds of acid reducers and it will relieve temporarily but come right back. What is this? Help
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 27th, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

Gastritis pain occurs in the left upper portion of the abdomen and in the back. The pain seems to travel from the belly to the back. Other symptoms of gastritis include - Belching, Nausea and vomiting, Bloating, Feeling of fullness or burning in the upper part of the belly.

When the pain increases with food, and causes difficulty to eat and is not helped by regular medications, then possibility of ulceration of the gastric or duodenal mucosa and / or chronic H Pylori infection needs to be suspected.

You should consult with a gastroenterologist, who if needed can order barium swallow and / or endoscopy which may help to make the proper diagnosis and provide specific treatment.

For the time being, you may need to avoid foods that are spicy and with high fat content. Avoid foods like - puddings, breads, bagels and pretzels are usually made with white flour and refined sugar ; vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, all kinds of beans and legumes, full fat milk, onions and green peas should be avoided. Cured meats and high fat meat products such as sausages, salami, ham, bacon, and Red meats like beef and lamb should be reduced in consumption or avoided totally.

Juicy fruits such as pears, oranges, sweet limes, watermelons, cantaloupes etc help a lot to control the symptoms.

Eat at regular times each day. Do not divide your food into six small meals unless you have trouble getting enough to eat. Eating too often can increase the acid in your stomach.

Choose low fat or fat-free dairy foods whenever possible. This will also help control stomach acid production.

I hope this helps.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.