Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Hiatal Hernia in Gastric Bypass Patient

Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
I am a 45 y/o female who had a Roux-en-Y gastric bypass in 2004 with no complications. I also have my gall bladder and took Actigall for two years following bypass surgery, where I was tested every 6 months to ensure I had no gallbladder complications following surgery. After the two years, I was taken off Actigall and given a clean bill of health concerning my gallbladder. However, I was recently in the Emergency Room with extreme abdominal pain directly above my belly button and extreme swelling of my abdomen, concerned that I had developed some gallbladder complications. After a CTscan with contrast dye was performed, it showed no gallbladder complications but did reveal a 2cm Hiatal Hernia tear. I had an edoscopy in 2007 and no Hiatal Hernia was present at that time. In addition, I have had no signs or symptoms of acid reflux.

My concern is this: with only an egg-sized pouch for a stomach and a 2cm Hiatal Hernia, should I be concerned that there could be complications with the stomach pouch bulging through the tear to the point of causing extreme digestive complications, not to mention possible blockage? Should I contact a Bariatric surgeon to initiate repairing the tear to avoid any complication with my pouch or should I wait until I begin having other related sympoms such as acid reflux?

Respectfully,

N. Beck
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper xyla_phony
|

replied April 5th, 2010
I would contact your surgeon if just for the FYI. I had RNY in 2003 an endoscope a few years later showed a hiatal hernia but no other issues. I now have had an issue with acid reflux for a year despite medication, I''ve also regained weight, when I saw a new WLS, because 1. my original surgeon is in another state and 2. the WLS I followed up with when I moved here stop performing surgery....he wanted to run some tests. Last week I had an upper GI and it confirmed the reflux, hiatal hernia, and spotted signs that could be Barrett''s Esophagus. I''m having an endoscopy next week to see what is going on inside. I find myself grazing throughout the day to stave off the burning in my throat.
|

replied June 27th, 2010
I am having surgery for a hiatal hernia that is 2cms in August. I have had 4 episode of aspiration pneumonia since December 2009. I understand this surgery is much more complicated than the gastric bypass which will include revision of the pouch and relocation of the outlet lower in the intestine.
|

replied April 12th, 2013
Hernia Opp
I Had my Gallbladder out last Aug now i have a Bulge on my right hand side and its sore i just had a MRI with some sort of Dye have to see my Surgen Wed Next at least its all Free by my Pension Card Doctor hospital evert thing payed by Mede care in Australia every one is coverd no matter how much money you have God Bless Australia.
|

replied March 9th, 2014
Could this be a hiatel hernia?
I know that I need to just see my doctor, but was wondering if anyone else had these symptoms; I had gastric bypass in 2008, and had emergency gall bladder surgery last year. Over the past few months, I have developed a feeling of blockage when I eat; like a clogged funnel. I also feel more tired than usual. It is like a fist in my chest, no pain, just pressure. We are going on a trip soon, and hope to figure this out. I have had nothing like this before. I dread eating anything.
|