Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Hiatal hernia chronic nausea

Does anyone know if a hiatal hernia can cause chronic nausea, i have had nausea for 2 years and finaly got diagnosed with a hiatal hernia, i have tried the diet and lifestyle changes and antacids but i still have the nausea.
My dr tried to get a surgeon too see me but he refused and said that fixing the hernia would not stop the nausea.
Has anyone got any answers it would be great to hear from someone who has had the same symptom and had the hernia repaired.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Flittergibbits
|

replied June 23rd, 2009
I'm not sure I'm much help here but I have the same thing. One doctor told me if I lose weight (I'm not - overweight at all but muscled and have a tight stomach - I'm female) that it would take the pressure off. I do notice that when the symptom of nausea hits, if I can relax my stomach muscles and keep the stomach from holding in and pushing up, the nausea is relieved. Mine is a 'sliding' hernia (most common) so when it's pushing up - which seems to be more often at some times than not - i feel icky and when I'm feeling okay, I notice there is no pressure in that area. So I'm exercising more and eating less and we'll see if it makes a difference. After about 45 we seem to gather any extra fat around the middle - bummer isn't it, but in my case I may be on to something.
|

replied August 1st, 2009
i have the EXACT same thing and i havent been able to find a cure, some days are worse then others but what i find helps the 24 hour nausea is manuka honey you take a tea spoon of it and it just calms everything down, also tea and sometimes antacids but im on so many right now i dont think they are working. Im only 19 and i have to live with this forever so if anyone else has suggestions please let me know.
|

replied August 2nd, 2010
hiatal hernia (suggested treatment)
hey guys, i was diagnosed with minor hiatal hernia back in 2004-2005, when i cnt help having the dull pain in my chest which i later understood as heartburn. doctor adviced me to quit smoking, reduce alcohol consumption and so i did. which made me feel better.. it came back when i had started drinking again and had constant nausea everytime i had my meal and suffer acid indigestions. am not sure whether it was correlated but i noticed it all started back when i vomitted heavily from one night after party.

here i would like to suggest one good youtube exercise which i found out about it last year and it works for me really well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrdNfaanpIs

i thought it was silly, but i did follow the suggested techniques and took it seriously, and since i dont want to look stupid, i did it alone in my room. i noticed after a while, the symptoms pretty much lessen day by day and somewhat in early 2010, ive totally forgot that i used to have the heartburn and nausea until i stumbled into this website.. i remembered how i was very selective of my food choice but now am not worry to eat spicy food no more.. hope itll work for you guys too.
|

replied May 9th, 2012
Nausea With Hiatal Hernia
OK, I probably should not be saying this but I know how to get rid of the nausea. I have had hiatal hernia for several years but since I had my last child 2 years ago, it is now my constant companion. The only thing that works for me is to smoke a bit of marijuana. Usually a couple puffs and the nausea is gone. It is not enough to get me "high" but it cures the nausea. Completely totally cures it for the day. Since I live outside of the US and it is legal here I guess I can say it without repercussion. There I said it. Trust me, it works.
|

replied January 26th, 2013
I agree with Flittergibbits. I have been suffering from chronic nausea for about 4 years now, and have known for the last 3 years that it is due to a hiatal hernia. When I get that typical feeling of discomfort and wretching I smoke marijuana and it calms it down completely. There are ways to prevent this from occuring, such as not eating for a couple of hours before bed, exercises for the diaphragm, etc. However, these methods only help to prevent but do not do anything when I am actually suffering from nausea.
|

replied November 12th, 2013
perhaps hiatal hernia?
I have chronic nausea and that dull pain in chest. I am having upper endoscopy soon. I just wretch all the time. I take zofran and phernergan to relieve the nausea and it works half the time. I hope its only a haital hernia and nothing worse. i notice when i lift up my chest my symptoms disappear. This has been going on too long.
|
Quick Reply