Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Herpes and Genital Warts Forum

Herpies scare

Must Read
20% of the population has or carries herpes simplex virus. But do you know what herpes is? Learn about causes and risk factors for herpes. ...
Do you know the less common signs and symptoms of herpes? Get the facts of herpes symptoms and outbreaks here....
Herpes diagnosis requires proper testing. Learn about the two simple tests that doctors use to confirm a herpes diagnosis....
ok, so the long story short, about 3-4 months ago i had sex with a girl, several times, about 3-4 times if i recall correctly, every time we slept together, we used a condom. Tonight i was informed by a mutual friend that she has herpes... I am a male, and she is a female, based off of the statistics, i was hoping someone could give me a percentage chance that i have contracted it... i have seen all the numbers that i need to work it out, but i can't really focus on them to do the math...

since then i have had ZERO symptoms that are related with herpes. I do have plans to get tested, but it will be a few days atleast before i can see a doctor, and i am quite worried about this, and if i recall correctly, it takes about a month for the test to culture too.

thank you for your responses

additionally, we had oral, anal and vaginal sex, though i don't know if that is a factor. i also should mention that there were NO sores of any sort any of the times we were together on her or myself

edit for mods:
i just noticed there's a herpies specific section, if you feel this thread would be more suited for that section, please move it for me
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 30th, 2011
Experienced User
I have had herpes for many many years. When I contracted it, the symptoms came only days later. It was very painful in the beginning and there was no mistaken something was wrong.

Also, I have regularly had unprotected sex with my wife over the last 3 years we have been together, and she has not caught it yet. During the periods when it is contagious(an outbreak), and we either dont have sex or I wear a condom then. I must add there are times when a person is contagious but does not show any symptoms according to research, but my wife has never contracted that way in the time we have been together.

Hope this helps. Dont worry so much!
|

Actually that has really helped, it helps put my mind at ease, though I still hate that lingering feeling that I might have it...

When you caught it, was your partner showing symptoms at the time? I'm a little curious of there is a correlation between time to show symptoms and if your partner had symptoms... ie. they don't have symptoms, you catch it, you don't show symptoms, vs they DO show symptoms, you get it and show...

I'm sure I'm over thinking this, but you understand the mindset I'm in right now...
|

Experienced User
She did not show symptoms at the time she gave it to me. She was my girlfriend and had cheated on me but didnt tell me. I asked the doctor why she didnt have symptoms and he said it could be that she was just carrying the virus but not infected. I think this is due to a woman's anatomy that this is possible. In other words, she had the virus inside her vagina, but it did not enter her body and system. So, although she had the virus inside her, she was not truly infected.

i am not a doctor nor a herpes expert, but I have been living with herpes 29 years. Based on what I know, I doubt very seriously you contracted it if you havent shown any symptoms by now.

Herpes has such a negative stigma attached to it. I think because there is no cure. But in reality, all it is to me now is just a cold sore of the genitals. It comes and it goes. I take precautions when I need to and my wife is willing to take the risk because she loves me. I tell you that because if you ever meet a woman you care for, dont let that stop you from having a meaningful relationship with her.
|

replied February 29th, 2012
Sometimes those who know they are infected spread the virus between outbreaks when no signs or symptoms are present. This is called asymptomatic transmission. But I don't think you have to worry too much, just take the herpes test. While you wait for the result, you have to practice safe sex and staying healthy. Take the H-Boost Herbal Immune Booster supplement, its natural ingredients have each been clinically proven to increase the body's immune response to the herpes virus

What people usually worry is, because there is no cure, therefore there are (sometimes) constant outbreaks. But there are antiviral drugs to handle that problem, like HSV-Zero, which can prevent (if used before an outbreak is coming) and heal the blister (if there's a blister already formed)
|

replied March 1st, 2012
Nice information. Thanx a lot for sharing
|