Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Herpes and Genital Warts Forum

Herpes culture test came out negative but I was infected?

Must Read
Learn the basics about sexual health issues, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a sexual health disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for sexual health disorders....
I'm getting really scared right now even to the point where I'm thinking suicide. Okay, I wont do it but I feel helpless.
A few months ago, I started having unprotected sex. The first time, I didnt notice anything. It wasnt til the last time I kind of got scared. I noticed after having sex a week after having sex with him....two painful blisters on my vagina area and some on my butt. I have had unprotected sex but I just never thought this could happen to me!
I went to the doctor a week later I got the blisters and it was still painful. They did a culture and blood test for herpes that day. The doctor called me and told me the results came in and they were negative. I was relieved and forgot about it.
I dont know if this matters but I got the chickenpox shot, flu shot, and my last shot of Gardasil about a month ago.
I ended up getting really sick like two weeks ago. It started with a really bad sore throat, then I got a rash on my neck and I ended up with a fever, lower back pain, throwing up this clear maybe mucus/saliva and my throat felt really swollen. I went to the doctor because I had trouble breathing. They gave me Benadryl and a shot of Penicilin with an IV. They advised me to keep talking Benadryl until my rash goes away and Tylenol/Ibuprofen. They said it was a viral infection but treated it as strep throat and not to worry. That stuff never really helped and I didnt take Tylenol or Ibuprofen but I continued to take Benadryl which didnt really do much.
My rash went away along with most of my symptoms but still had somewhat of a sore throat but I started coughing really bad. I would cough up clear mucus/saliva? I was barely eating because the sides of my mouth got sooo dry that I ended up with a cut at the corner. I thought it was a cold sore but it was just dry skin. Nothing else. I went to the doctor because I was not getting better and the doctor diagnosed me with walking pneumonia! She gave me antibiotics and hopefully it goes away in a couple of days.
While I was there, I wanted to take a test for herpes and other STDs. The doctor tells me the culture test came out negative but I was infected? Im thinking in my head, why would the doctor tell me I didnt have herpes when they called me the first time? Can I still have herpes if I have been infected? A million questions were running through my head. So I ended up doing a blood test to see if I have it or not. I havent had any blisters/ulcers since the first time, so I had some hope.
I just got a call today and they tell me my blood test came out positive for herpes! Im getting really scared. Ive been googling all day for information on this and if there is ANY possible way these results can be false. How can you have a positive blood test result for herpes but when I took a blood test and culture test a week after I got the initial break, they both came out negative? Ive been looking for ways of maybe this whole having herpes is false and Ive heard old blood tests can give false positive results.
Im thinking maybe the medicines, the shots, me being sick, can give off false positive results for my recent blood work. I did the blood work when I was sick with strep throat and walking pneumonia.
What I really care about is, is there anything that Im saying indicate a false positive blood test for herpes?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 13th, 2011
herpes
I feel lonely and shamed since I was diagnosed with herpesbut I found my boyfriend and many good friends on MeetHerpes.com a place where we don't have to worry about being rejected .Just feel free to chat, share stories,and make friends .
|

replied October 13th, 2011
There's great medicine's out there to prevent outbreaks. Just be honest with yourself about using protection in the future to prevent worse things. Disclosing this with new partners might be difficult so you might want to put off sex till your in a committed relationship. Some life lessons are tougher learned than others.
|

replied February 10th, 2012
I just found out i may have herpes. I cried for 2 days. Alot of ppl have it though. I had suixide thoughts so im goingto a counselor next week. My first outbreak sucks. I wish i never had sex. And idk how me n my b even got it. It randomly infected both of us n now wer screwed. I feel like my life ia over but its not so be positive
|