Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Herpes and Genital Warts Forum

Herpes bumps or skin allergy ?

Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
User Profile
I noticed four days ago about a dozen tiny red dots in my genital area. They are all located in the pubic hair region but none near the vagina. They are not grouped, not painful, do not cause discomfort (other then mental) and they appear to be "healing" or going away in stages. They are very small, and I think they look like whiteheads. The few that have healed appear to have a ring of dry skin around the initial bump.

I am concerned they might be genital herpes even though they do not fit the classical symptoms. I don't know if it's an allergic reaction either, but I have never had my skin in that region react differently to new soaps. What is the possible cause for this condition?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 2nd, 2009
Herpes and Genital Warts Answer A5236
If you have never experienced genital herpes before and can not think of any episodes of unprotected intercourse, then the chance that the sores are genital herpes is minimal. Allergic reactions can not be excluded. On the contrary, it is more likely that you are experiencing an allergic reaction because the sores come and go. Most allergic sores, however, should not look like whiteheads. You might want to see a dermatovenerologist, because it is really hard to identify any skin sores are without seeing them during a visual inspection.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Herpes and Genital Warts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.