Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Sexually Transmitted Diseases Forum

herpes 1 a sexual transmitted disease ?

Must Read
20% of the population has or carries herpes simplex virus. But do you know what herpes is? Learn about causes and risk factors for herpes. ...
Do you know the less common signs and symptoms of herpes? Get the facts of herpes symptoms and outbreaks here....
Herpes diagnosis requires proper testing. Learn about the two simple tests that doctors use to confirm a herpes diagnosis....
I was diagnosed w/ herpis simplex 1 around 2005 and i just now recently had my first outbreak (cold sore.)I have been with my boyfriend for about a year and a half and i had never mentioned it to him till now! He is very concerned and i am too! ever since my outbreak i have been on the computer trying to get as much info on it as possible, but i can't seem to get what i am looking for! My main concern is giving him genital herpes even when i don't have a cold sore! I read something about a shedding period im concerned can anyone give me some advice?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 27th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi, brooklenm!
It's good to know that for both types, HSV1 and HSV2, at least two-thirds of infected people have no symptoms, or symptoms too mild to notice. It spreads even when no symptoms are present. So, maybe you have gotten this from your boyfriend. My point was that this is very a contagious disease and by the time of teenagers age or young adults age, about 50% of Americans have HSV-1 antibodies in their blood.

HSV-1 can be spread easily to the genital area, usually through oral sex (even when you don't have cold sores, because of virus shedding). After first year of appearance, the recurrences are more frequent. The people who have a lot of recurrences also have a lot of shedding.
|
Did you find this post helpful?