Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Pain Management Forum

Herniated disc pain management

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I'm 21 years old and this summer I herniated a disc, with excruciating pain. I've seen a PCP, then ortho, then workers comp doctor - none will prescribe anything other than hydrocodone, which I don't mind - but the doses don't affect me much.

Originally when I had a bulging disc, I was on Percocet and Oxycontin because I was in a manual labor field, then it ruptured and my original doctor moved - and now my new doctor is kind of screwing me. I would like to get off of pain meds as soon as I feel better, and I honestly think that the diazepam helps me more than the Norco.

Does anyone know where I can consult with a doctor online, or any doctors in Pittsburgh that are actually willing to listen and help, especially when I;m in so much pain that I'm crying - which I rarely do. I'm a pretty tough kid.

I've tried Flexeril, Skelaxin, Robaxin, and others.. the only two that have worked are Soma and Diazepam.

Yesterday the Pain Management doctor gave me an Epidural Steroid Injection and I asked him about medication, because after the injection I was in excruciating pain. I was leaving and it got so bad I couldn't walk so I went to the ER. Then the ER sent me back to PM where the doctor pretty much told me I was faking it, hooked me up to an IV with Toradol - which didn't help. Then finally gave me a small dose of Fentanyl which lasted for about two hourse. He told me to take ibuprofen.. so after talking to him for a little longer, he wrote me a prescription for Demerol 50, for 9 pills..

I think the Steroid Injection made my pain worse, it feels worse than it did when I first herniated it.

I'm moving to Pittsburgh on August 1, does anyone have any reccomendations as far as doctors go there, or what I should do until I leave.

Last night I had to go to the ER after not sleeping for 48 hours because of backpain and they gave me a huge dose of Dilaudid (which of course I know I'm not going to be prescribed, nor would I want to).

I have been in chronic pain, and no doctor is willing to help me out. Norco 7.5 just doesn't cut it anymore.

What should I do
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 29th, 2009
I don't know the local conditions in Pittsburgh, other than the University is nationally known in several fields of medicine. Flexeril etc are, in my opinion, pretty worthless and I prefer diazepam over carisopradol because it is less addicting and more potent. Methadone is considered by many as the opiate of choice for HNP (herniated nucleus pulposus) because it treats nerve pain better, is really inexpensive, and lasts long (1-2x/day dosing). Some recent studies on receptor binding suggest that the other opiates - morphine, Dilaudid, Demerol (I don't ever prescribe it), oxycodone, hydrocodone, fentanyl - may have more nerve pain blocking ability than we usually give them credit for. Bottom line though is to find a pain management doc (Google) who will work with you.

|

replied August 30th, 2009
Hey, I'm 19 and have 3 herniated discs..
It might help to talk to someone that's around the same age that knows what you're going through.
Sometimes I can't live with it and go to the ER too and they basically think I'm some addict trying to get some pills...
Anyways you can write me.

The best thing to do is go to a pain management doctor. There's lots in every big city.
|

replied January 31st, 2010
I don't really know how to use this forum, but you can write me? I am going through the same thing it seems, but doctors in Idaho will not give me any pain killers, and when they see my MRI, they say that I shouldn't be feeling any pain....even though I am limping and I can't walk more than a couple hundred yards without wanting to keel over. Are you still in pain? I injured my back on July 21, 2009. It's been six months now of excruciating pain.
|

replied February 4th, 2011
opiats
how to get off oxycontin?
|

replied July 17th, 2013
pain herniated disc needs surgery or ozonetherapy dicolysis.
you may need surgery or Ozone therapy.i did ozonetherapy 5 days ago,pain still there and i am with ibuprofen.if the pain does not go away in 2 month i will go to surgery as last resource.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Pain Management , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.