Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Hernias cause infertility ?

I am a 26 year old female with no serious health conditions. I have been trying to get pregnant for 9 months. I have seen my gynecologist throughout the past 9 months, thinking I had endometriosis. About 3 weeks ago, I went under laparoscopy and they found 2 indirect inguinal hernias, which were repaired at the same time. There was no trace of endometriosis or any other female problem. I know that it may take up to 12 months to get pregnant before they consider it a fertility issue but I just wondered if the hernias could have had anything to do with not getting pregnant?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper WelshOwen
|

User Profile
replied March 6th, 2010
There is no clinical evidence that inguinal hernias cause infertility in women. (Inguinal hernia repairs do slightly increase the risk of infertility in males, however).

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied July 2nd, 2012
I am a male, and when I was very young I had 2 hernias can this cause infertility or not?
|

replied March 24th, 2010
update-I found out a week ago I'm pregnant! It may just be coincidence...who knows!
|

replied April 2nd, 2010
would hernia mesh treatment cause infertility in men
i am a male 30 years old. i have been identified with inguinal hernia on the left side. I am planning to get married soon. What is the risk of infertility? Should I be considering mesh for treatment or not? please advice
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.