Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Hernia Surgery Recovery.... Weight loss & Mesh

Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
Hi-
I just had hernia umbilical hernia repair surgery with mesh (6 days ago). Currently I am 20 lbs heavier then I would like to be. I am wondering how in the future the mesh will affect me in terms of pain and weight loss/gain as I know the mesh does not behave exactly like normal body tissue. Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 7th, 2010
Approximately 1 to 3 percent of patients will go on to have some chronic pain in the area of their hernia repairs. In terms of physical activity, the more strain that is placed on the repair, then the greater the likelihood of pain and hernia recurrence. On the other hand, abdominal obesity is also a risk factor for chronic pain and hernia recurrence.

A gradual transition into moderate levels of exercise, beginning 6 weeks after hernia repair, is what I advise most of my own hernia repair patients. HOwever, you should check with your surgeon, and ask him/her for advice on this topic.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.