Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Hernia surgery recovery time

User Profile
1) why is it recommended not to drive for 5-7 days? Seems ridiculous and I may do it unless I hear of a good reason.

2) I work at a computer all day long and hospital just called to follow up with yesterdays surgery and was shocked that I was working (from home)- they said I should be resting. What's the difference if I work at a computer (work) or surf the internet at a computer (not working).

3)Will it seem swollen for a while? It feels the same size it was before surgery. Note: I had the mesh put in.

4) How long until I could walk my dog? (my doctor was vague in her responses)

thank you so much for answering these questions.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Dr. Robert Wascher
|

User Profile
replied April 10th, 2009
Hernia Answer A6301
Most surgeons recommend no diriving for about a week because many patients will still be taking narcotic pain medications during this time. Also, the discomfort experienced early after surgery may, at least hypothetically, affect your responses to emergency situations while driving.

Some patients are able to tolerate a return to sedentery jobs sooner than others. As long as patients do not stress their hernia repair by heavy lifting or sports, I leave it up to them if they wish to resume work sooner than I have recommended.

In many cases, the space under the skin fills with fluid (seroma) after hernia operations. Usually, this pocket of fluid will slowly resolve over a period of several weeks.

If you have a small dog, then you can walk the dog when you otherwise feel comfortable walking the same distance on your own. If you have a large or rambunctious dog, then you should probably wait 3 to 4 weeks after your hernia surgery.

Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

http://doctorwascher.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.