Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Hernia Surgery pain Normal?

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Had hernia surgery on Tuesday June 9th and I was told that if it was laporscopic, i could probably go back to work in a week. Well it almost 2 weeks later, and I still cant even walk up right. I have major pain on my left side by my ribs and major pain on the right side by my where my ovary should be. I have to pick up my belly to walk to the bathroom. I'm worried because i am supposed to go back to work but i cant stand the pain. Is this normal? Does it make a difference that I had 4 verses 2 they had found? I have 11 incisions because 2 of them where strangling my intestine so it was a necessary surgery. Anyway, any feedback would be appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 23rd, 2009
You did not indicate where your hernia(s) was located. If it was a common inguinal (groin) hernia repair, then it would be unusual to be in that much pain 2 weeks after laparoscopic hernia repair. If, on the other hand, you had a large ventral hernia repaired, then moderate discomfort a week or two after surgery would not, by itself, be that unusual.

My advice is to schedule a follow-up visit with your surgeon, and have him/her evaluate these problems that you are experiencing.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

http://doctorwascher.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.