Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Hernia repair with mylar mesh causing bladder issues?

Hi,
between 10 and 20 years ago I had a large hernia in front of my bladder repaired with mylar mesh. It stretched from just above the genitals to about an inch or two below my belly button and as my pubic bone was removed in my original accident was fastened to what muscle was left and was placed between skin layers, not generally over muscle. Over the years it has changed shape and a few peaks have appeared.

I don't think the mesh itself has become infected but in some places has pulled away slightly leaving some substantial bulges. I still do a fair amount of lifting of building materials and like kayaking which requires some reasonable lifting in itself. Over the time I have had my mesh in my bladder infections have become both chronic and severe. Sometimes my urine is the consistency of yoghurt, that is how infected it gets. It seems like I am always on some sort of antibiotic and once I start taking pills for one infection, another one comes along. I just spent a few days in hospital and am on iv antibiotics for two weeks currently because they are getting more and more resistant to antibiotics and this time my infection meant I had to spend time in an infectious diseases ward.

During two recent urethroscopies, a red patch has been noted on the front wall of my bladder, one of which they took a biopsy and diagnosed a hunners ulcer. Recently my urologist asked if I have had any mesh inserted in my abdomen as he thinks this may be irritating the front wall of my bladder. I have pain there but this may be because of my other surgeries. I have had over 100 ops in the last 25 years so sorry I couldn't be a bit more specific as things can become a bit of a blur as to which operation was done and when.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 16th, 2010
Although I cannot be certain, as I cannot examine you, from your description, it sounds as if your Marlex mesh might have eroded into your bladder. If so, then it will likely have to be removed, especially since it would have very likely become infected following your multiple urinary tract infections.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.