Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Hernia repair using mesh

User Profile
is the faulty mesh off the market?Is all mesh bad?It seems mesh repair is a joke.Not sure if i want to do it now...I've waited 8 months for this surgery.But now i've read all these people who have had problems.Dont know what to do now cause iam on a county program and once it runs out iam not covered for this surgery anymore.Thanks....

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper cessnaflyboy
|

User Profile
replied June 23rd, 2010
Hernia Answer A13435
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know whether you should have a hernia repair with mesh.

Mesh is wired material that is placed between the musclular wall and the subcutaneous tissue. Its purpose is to cause inflammation which will result in formation of fibrous tissue between the muscular wall and the subcutaneous tissue. This fibrous tissue strengthens the muscular wall so reappearance of the hernia is avoided. Certain individuals may experience pain and slight swelling at the site of incision untill the scar is formed a few days after the surgery. The pain may stay a little longer than the swelling because the mesh causes irritation as individuals move until it is completely fixated by the fibrous tissue.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor for further advice and information about hernia repair with usage of mesh.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.